cucumber beetle

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as usual they are tearing my garden to pieces. i didnt plant cucumber this yesr hoping they would leave but they just went after the green beans and okra.

in my desperation i mixed up a brew of dish soap, peppermint oil and water and sprayed everything tonight in hopes of getting them knocked back.

i think its time to step away from organic methods for this one. if things domt get better by the weekend im gonna try a product called viper. i think its a perythrin permitheryn or something. my plan is to pick all the flowers off of everything, spray it all down and then a couple days later wash it off as best as i can in hopes of not killing all the bees.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
as usual they are tearing my garden to pieces. i didnt plant cucumber this yesr hoping they would leave but they just went after the green beans and okra.

in my desperation i mixed up a brew of dish soap, peppermint oil and water and sprayed everything tonight in hopes of getting them knocked back.

i think its time to step away from organic methods for this one. if things domt get better by the weekend im gonna try a product called viper. i think its a perythrin permitheryn or something. my plan is to pick all the flowers off of everything, spray it all down and then a couple days later wash it off as best as i can in hopes of not killing all the bees.
Have you tried adding neem oil to the palmolive?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard good things with the neem oil, might be a good idea.

I spray with peppermint and cinnamon bark essential oils on my strawberries and other plants, seem to have worked so far. I haven't seen any cucumber beetles here before.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My garden bug pump spray goes like this.

1) establishment of seedlings - 1 healthy squirt of Palmolive original green per 1 gallon of water

2) seedlings established - 1 healthy squirt of Palmolive original green per 1 gallon of water + BT as directed on the bottle

3) mid season until end of season - 1 healthy squirt of Palmolive original green per 1 gallon of water + BT as directed on the bottle + Neem oil as directed on bottle.

I spray at least once every week and after heavy rain.

In the beginning my 2 gallon pump sprayer will cover the garden 3 times, by the end of the season it takes 6 gallons to cover the garden 1 time.

Seems to work well, a garden will never be 100% pest free and you don't want to be either. You don't want to kill off the pollinating insects like honey bees or your plants that need pollination, won't produce veggies. It's a very fine line to walk.

Our garden is covered up with honey bees, there are way too many to not have a hive nearby. I would like to find the hive and harvest honey. I suspect I'll stumble upon it sometime, when I'm not searching for it. I can call my friend who is a bee keeper and have him come suited up to smoke them and harvest some of the honey but not all ofcourse.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts