Cucumber beetles killing everything

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ill give it a shot

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cucumber beetles have been really bad around here for a few seasons. The last time I had them, I used Neem. That worked better than anything else I had tried.
Years ago, a guy on this forum (can't remember his name!!) suggested I use strong Dawn and water mixture for squash bugs. I wonder if this would work for you. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then hose off the plants really well so it doesn't die as well. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything mentioned about the ratio of Dawn/water. I never got around to using it as my squash plants were toast the next day.

Anyone else remember this?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never had a great squash harvest out here. Never. And you know that usually there's a bumper crop of zucchini every year. That's interesting about Palmolive, I wish I would have known that back then.
Although I now buy Dropps for laundry, I still have a jug of homemade and use that as well. I found the Palmolive Oxy works better in that than the Dawn for general grass and oil/grease pre-treating.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dawn also makes a mean wasp killer. Regardless of which soap you use, if you don't have enough in the water, you're just washing 'em. Spray the wasps and they'll drop fast. I think the soap (detergent?) basically suffocates them. They die really fast.
I used DE on my dogs for fleas. Borax sprinkled all over the fenced in yard was a great bug repellant and works for 2-3 years before you need to repeat it.