CURRENCY

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard on the news this am that we have traded currency with like 4 other countries to help stabilize this on....What does trade currency mean? Why would we do that? Does anyone know?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard the same thing and I didn't understand why we need that either. What is the benefit? What is the downside?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Our wonderful government is trying to get us into a global economy system. Which if we did & another had a major economic cituation(sp?) like we are right now it will affect all the countries involved. I do not think it is a smart idea at all.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WE ALREADY DID......They said this morning on the news that we traded currency with 4 other countries.
I thought that our econemy had affected other countries anyway, so why do this?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The democrates are trying to get us into a global gov't not on our own anymore we would answer to global laws & regulation & no longer be our own "free" country anymore. that is why they are doing this.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm no finance/economics expert but I'll take my best crack at this. First of all, currency trading is a common, everyday practice, just like stock trading, since currency values fluctuate constantly. Governments also trade currencies, just as individual currency traders do. Basically, it is a good thing that we (meaning the Treasury and Fed. Reserve, not "the democrats" ;)) are able to continue trading currency when our economy is such a mess at the moment. When investors or other countries buy/trade for large quantities of the US dollar, that maintains or increases the value of the dollar. If foreign countries get to the point where they decide our situation is pretty darn hopeless, and sell off all their US dollars, that will drop the value of the dollar. It's a good sign if we're actually able to trade dollars at this point, it shows that foreign countries have some faith that we're not in a hopeless situation. They wouldn't trade for US dollars if don't think it's a sound investment, and right now the value is low and they must expect that it will go up. Sort of like trading baseball cards!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
alot of baseball cards out there have more value then the dollar right now...LOL-LOL

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So true! Perhaps we should start trading our dollars for baseball cards! :lol:

hollybird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
our money is just paper and cloth. it only has value when someone else is willing to trade something for it. if we keep printing money and driving up inflation the dollar value will only fall. the dollar trading for less doesn't always equal other countries buy more. do you borrow money just because the interest rates go down? the debt we are in is too deep, the gov't. has no idea how to recover.