Curry!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We really like this shrimp curry.
Nutrition Info: 6 servings calories- 331 fat- 19.5 gr net carbs- 5.6 gr protein- 27.4 gr

Ingredients:
24 oz shrimp (I used the 21-40 size), peeled (or you can substitute with chicken, tofu, or whatever floats your boat!)
5 cups fresh raw spinach
4 cups chicken stock
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 head medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum, divided (I found this from Bob's Red Mill, but if you don't want to use it, you could experiment with cornflour or wheat flour- try the average amounts for most medium-thin sauces)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Mix all spices EXCEPT xanthan gum and coconut flour. Set aside
2. slice onion and set aside
3. Bring 3 tbsp olive oil to hot heat in a pan. Add onion and cook until soft
4. Add butter, heavy cream, 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum, and spices. Stir well so everything is mixed
5.After about 1-2 minutes of the spices sweating, add chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir well and cover. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes on medium-low.
6. Add cauliflower florets and cook for another 15 minutes, covered.
7. Add shrimp and cook for an additional 20 minutes with the lid off.
8. Measure out coconut flour and remaining 1/8th tsp xanthan gum and stir well into curry. Cook for 5 minutes
9. After 5 minutes, add spinach and mix in well. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes with the lid off.

You could serve this over rice, but we just had it as a stew. Absolutely scrumptious!

I've been thinking of mixing the dry spice ahead of time and storing as 'kits' to save time. It's about 1/3 cup of dry spice :ep

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Britesea, this looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds delicious, thanks for posting it! Now I need to seriously add to my spice collection...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds yummy! I just copied and printed it off!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds great. I don't think I've ever seen such a long list of spices in a dish...LOL. Need to try this one. I like shrimp.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've noticed there are 2 cuisines I've run across with exceptionally long ingredient lists: curries and their ilk, and creole cooking. As I said before, I plan to make up "kits" of the dry spices in this dish, and keep them on hand for speeding up the prep time. It's not that it takes so long to measure out a tablespoon of this and another of that... but gathering all the jars together, measuring them out, then putting them all back again is a pain in the patoot. I keep my spices inside the cabinet away from the stove since heat and light are their enemies.