Cut in pay = cut in expenditures

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Starting July 1st dh will be taking a once a pay period furlough, which equals out to a little over our grocery budget each month. And comes just as the elec bills get to their high point. Great timing for the state! Although the alternative is to lay off people & I see this as a better way of doing it. So we are downsizing the satelite & cell phone plans & eliminating netflix. We can rent movies for $1/day from redbox & dh drives by 2-3 of them on his way to & from work. Not to mention my db has a multitude of dvd's we can borrow too. We are making sunscreens for all the windows to help cut the amt of heat that comes in thru the windows so the ac should not run as much then. I already drive as little as possible so my gas usage is not too bad. Not to mention there will be no more homeschool activites to go to during the summer either. We plan on getting our above ground pool up soon & that will require elec to run the filter, but it will be cheaper than driving to a pool & paying to get in to swim. We keep our chemicals to a bare minimum so lower expense there too. We will be butchering our momma cow so the freezer's will be full of beef. We have the garden going already & I am hoping to get a few more layers for more eggs than the 4 hens & 1 banty. Thinking i can sell a few more to help make up the cost of feed, nopt to mention the grass & weeds they get(& thinings) from the garden. DD has all the clothes she needs for summer, might need to replace sandals for her as her feet grow. Ds has clothing needed but will need shoes. DD also has the majority of clothing needed for next fall & winter too(thank goodness) but ds will need clothing. Our church is having a sale on the 25th of this mo & I plan on looking for him stuff then for next fall/winter. I use the clothesline & only use the dryer to touch up things & remove wrinkles(mainly dh's uniforms). When I wash denim I hang the bigger heavier items on the back of my dining rm chairs(not wood) as the wet with the ceiling fan above them help cool down my great rm a little more. I bake & cook from scratch, grinding my own wheat for it. I make a lot of my own mixes for cooking too.
Any other suggestions? WE switched from grain to just hay for the cattle & ram to help save on feed costs already too & they are eatting less already. I plan on canning, freezing & dehydrating all the extras we can from the garden. Plus we are in the process of cleaning out all the extras we have to have our own sale, not just for the extra money but to get rid of the extra's & have less clutter .

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your pay cut.

It sounds like you are pretty well prepared and doing what you can. I'm not sure you have left much to cut . . . .

What you do with the jeans reminds me of what they do in India to cool rooms . . . if I am remembering correctly they wrap a terra cotta vessel in muslin (?) and fill it with water and set it next to a window so air will blow across it and evaporate the water. It is a very low tech evaporative cooler. You might look into a DIY version, just for comfort's sake.

I have found that lately when I cook, a lot of times I leave out some of the ingredients in a dish that I just haven't stocked back up on, and it comes out close enough that it doesn't really upset me as much as I would have thought. Ha ha Lots of those extra ingredients are a little more pricey, so I think it saves money to think about making certain recipes more bare-bones. If you haven't already, look into getting your spices in bulk and split them with friends. I think spices bought in small containers are the most over-priced ingredient I have come across in the grocery store.

Good luck!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks Drake, the spices I have already been buying in bulk as the co our buying club buys from has been having good sales on them so I am stocked up in that department i believe. I planned on double checking them before July to make sure I have enough.
I keep the ac @ 80 till about an hr before dh gets home from work then I lower it to 78 as he works in a 95+ temp warehouse during the summer & he wants a cooler environment when he gets home. The kids & I are okay with that temp as we stay under the ceiling fans & the classrm is really cool so we school during the summer too so that helps. In fact we don't really need the ceiling fan in there most of the time.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great start.

Have you tried the homemade laundry detergent recipe posted on a thread here? That will save you a bunch.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have already been making my own laundry soap & softner for about 2 yrs now. Along with the dishwasher detergent too.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds like you are already doing what you can :) The difference between your family and probably the other employees is that you will be prepared to do what you have to do to get by, most won't even know where to start.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
It sounds like you are already doing what you can :) The difference between your family and probably the other employees is that you will be prepared to do what you have to do to get by, most won't even know where to start.
Thats true. I am so glad I know how to be frugal. I was just hoping someone here might see something I haven't yet to help us out a little more.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I guess all that is left to potentially cut are the really hard choices, that I don't think any of us can recommend . . . you would need to make those decisions for yourself. For instance, if things got really bad at my house, I would consider cutting the phone out all together. No I didn't say that that made much sense, but it is one of those things you do if you absolutely have to.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
True, I am working on dh to get him to quit smoking there is $150/mo we would save minimum & with all the other cuts we are making we would be just fine & dandy then. But easier said than done.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Especially with the stress of taking the cut in work and pay.

However, at the same time, there is no better time to quit bad habits than during hard times. I wish you and him success with that . . . it would certainly benefit more than just the finances. Do you think he would be able to start smoking less or does he need to do it cold turkey?