cute turkey drama

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So... Because the men in my life leave me alone in the sale barn with the animals, we ended up with several turkeys. We have babies, adolescents and two adults. The adults share space with the chickens and the adolescents are in a large cage in the chicken coop. The other day we noticed that Tom ( the adult male) was displaying in the coop. In fear, we ran to see if he had a rooster cornered and come to find out, he was displaying for the adolescent turkeys. They are half the size of a full grown chicken at this point. We have game birds bigger than them . Then, we look in the cage and one of the young turkeys is displaying back at him ! I have never seen anything so funny in my life. It reminded me of a kitten hissing. We tried to get pics but they all ended up being of Tom's butt LOL

I just had to share. I know its not the same as if you would have been there. I just couldn't let the cuteness go unpublished!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think it is the cutest when my little turkeys display. So tiny yet still strutting their stuff. I simply adore turkeys!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All of this is still really new to me. The chickens, rabbits , game birds and turkeys. The turkeys have been the most fun! The adults are fun, but least interested in human interaction. I think I will stick to getting young ones from now on. On a side note.. we are getting baby cows soon! I can't express how excited I am. For those of you who don't know, I am a city girl that moved to a farm and I am loving every second of it!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
honestly we love our turkeys the best.... they are so interesting. one of our turkey hens chases our barn cat with intent to kill... its pretty funny. i'm waiting for him to turn around and smack her
;-)

has you big tom done the "love dance" yet?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We plan on getting turkeys soon. They can freerange with the chickens and ducks, right? I will be looking forward to seeing the toms strut.

What breed did you get, and what breed would everyone recommend? Hubby wants something appealing to look at. Actually, he would like to get wild turkeys. I would like a good heritage breed.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Omg yes! The "I'm too sexy" dance Tom gets all blue faced and struts , does the head bob.

We have Royal Palms. I think they are very pretty actually. They have a nice temperament but do rule the chicken yard. They are getting ready to move to their new space. Our hen is getting ready to start laying and we have seen her eyeing the chickens nesting boxes. So, we are going to give them their own space with her own box.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
We plan on getting turkeys soon. They can freerange with the chickens and ducks, right?

What breed did you get, and what breed would everyone recommend? Hubby wants something appealing to look at.
turkeys are apparently more susceptible to blackhead disease than other types of birds, so a lot of sources recommend not keeping them with other type of poultry, since they could be carriers that show no symptoms and still transmit it to the turkeys. personally, i think if you maintain a healthy flock, the risks are limited. my turkeys mingle with my chickens and my goose. no problems so far.

i really love my Bourbon Reds. they are very pretty. i've got Royal Palms also, which are striking with their black and white feathers, but i don't really like black or white birds... so i'm not getting them again.

my favs are

Slates (blue/self blue/lavender, chocolate)
Lilacs
Blue Palms

(i'm a total sucker for blue genetics)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bibliophile birds, thanks for the info on blackhead disease. I had been wondering about keeping all the birds together like we do. What they could pass to one another. While everyone is fine, we have been trying to pick up info on common medical issues for the assortment of birds we have.

Latest posts