D.I.Y. Seed mats for germination

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sister has been reading up on the benefits of heat mats for seed starting and she has me pretty well convinced that it's worth experimenting with, however there is no way I'm shelling out a lot of $$ to try the technique. I found this one using a plastic tote and a rope light, both of which I have on hand: http://www.gardengrapevine.com/BottomHeater.html

Has anyone here made or used one of these before?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bottom heat appears to make sense. Some folks use it outdoors in their cold box for starting before the frost time passes.
The rope lights look like a good idea but I don't know anything about them in terms of actual warmth produced.
Seems like a reasonable approach. Keep the heat source dry and away from stray voltage and see what happens!
:ya

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Could you place an electric heating pad in the bottom tub in place of the rope lights? I've put egg cartons in a ziploc bag with air vents cut on top, then set the cartons on a heating pad covered with a towel... seems to work well for me, though I'm starting a small number of seeds.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
mom2bbjandag said:
Could you place an electric heating pad in the bottom tub in place of the rope lights? I've put egg cartons in a ziploc bag with air vents cut on top, then set the cartons on a heating pad covered with a towel... seems to work well for me, though I'm starting a small number of seeds.
You might want to check the temperature of the heating pad. They get hot enough to create second degree burns so be sure you get the proper insulation between the tub and the plants. You'd hate to burn up your plants.

I don't know too much about rope lights but even a small amount of reliable heat will make things better if they are in an otherwise cold environment. Incandescent bulbs are 90% heat and 10% light so their flexibility should be handy.

Hope this helps.
Trim Sends

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I've got three set ups, all with the basic premise: plastic totes with holes drilled for lights to run through and kitty litter over the top of the lights. The ambient temp of my basement is 60 degrees. Box 1 is a 50 strand of halloween lights in the litter, rope light zigzagged on the wire shelf below the tote; it makes the "soil" in the box 80 degrees. Box 2 is three feet of rope light in kitty litter and it makes the "soil" 70 degrees. Box 3 has three feet of rope light in the litter and three feet of rope light under the tote and it's close to 90 degrees. (right now I've got pink banana seeds in there to germinate, I think it'd be too hot for anything else!).