Dace got me thinking about meal planning.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
It just occured to me that my main change during my non-shopping period was that I ate what I had- no giving in to cravings.

If you have lots of pasta, rice or beans, you can have variety by adding stuff as sauce. I made a lot of different sauces to go over pasta and rice- most sauces had meat in them as I have my own meat supply. I frequently put in whatever veggies I had that sounded good. I put things inside egg pancakes a lot- like green onions, bacon and cream cheese (my favorite) but I'd use lots of other vegetables inside them too.
Very little foods that had real recipes like mac and cheese- maybe I might not have the right cheese and then a lot of veggies don't "mix" in with them. No roast beef or fresh fish, no real desserts other my stock of home grown apples or frozen blueberries. Condensed milk is good for cooking.
If I got an urge to go to the store for some particular food, I created something to go into the oven- I thereby couldn't leave while it was cooking and by the time it was ready, I lost the desire to be "bad." And had something ready to eat.
Lots of tried and true recipes came out during this time too.

Of course, I do not cook for others- no little kids saying I want.....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Good, simple plan! I get into spending trouble with food when I start browsing through cookbooks. There are always 2-3 ingredients I'm missing, and boy can the groceries add up then!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I spent years getting online to browse recipes for dinner ideas. I swear there were times that i was at the store every single day! That is just no way to live.

I am aiming for a full month with only picking up produce, milk & eggs. We'll see how I do. OH< i will have to add in pretzels, crackers & nuts. I have weaned my kids a good way off of those foods, but they do still eat them some, especially for lunches, but our over all consumption is way down.

I went thru everything that I had on hand and just made up a menu. Crossing my fingers that this works as well as I hope!

Thanks for the great idea ETR!

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just going through every thing you already have is a mind blowing affair. I know I am a food hoarder. I am seriously trying to use what I have but always think of recipes for things I don't have. Please don't let me look at the weekly food ads.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Yeah- I live too far out to go to town for "just one thing." So I guess the adaption is that I eat what I have. Saved by the distance. :)
I do, too. I guess what I mean is that when I cook from recipes, a week's worth of recipes can create the need for an extra 20 things from the store! Maybe I'm exaggerating :) But, if I cook as you describe and simply don't shop, it saves a lot of money. And, as you say, "craving" eating.