Daily routine

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, seeing how much some of ya'll get done, I'm wondering what your daily/weekly routine is like? I realize that of course there will be crazy days and emergencies, etc, but what is your day generally like?

I'm working on recovering my routines so I'm kinda off from all the travelling this summer. I love when I have my routines in place. My life feels much less hectic even though I'm getting more done, so I'm working on getting back into mine.

I'm wondering do ya'll tend to do something like a daily routine, for how you get your various chores in? Do you do some gardening (weeding, harvesting, etc) every day? Do you wake up and feed/milk the animals, then start laundry, then can/preserve stuff, then ... or what?

There's just so many things to fit into a day or a week. I'm just curious.

Some of the bits of my routine that I've finally started getting back to:
mornings:
Let out the girls and check their food/water
Start laundry (I do a load a day rather than a weekly wash day)
Empty dishwasher
eat breakfast
check email/byc/ss
reboot laundry

the rest of the day tends to be random, and isn't a routine yet so I'm not getting enough done. I need to get my routines developed again so I don't feel so overwhelmed by everything. I'm not good at "whatever looks like it needs doing" because *everything* looks like it needs doing so I tend to get overwhelmed and not start.

Weekly:
Gas up car/truck on Satyrday/Sunday
Go to Farmers Market on Satyrday or Sunday
Clear out papers and any accumulated trash on Mondays
I try to do my grocery shopping on Wednesdays or Thursdays after the specials came out

Just wondering about how ya'll do it, if you have a routine or not.

ETA my weekly "routine"

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My work day and weekend routines are very different.

During the week, I just make sure I've eaten and fed the cats and make it to work. Work is way too stressful to worry beyond that. Before I go to bed, I always make sure all dishes are washed, litters are clean (2 kitties), and anything I could trip on during the night is straightened up.

On weekends....

Saturday am is farmer's market and groceries. I wash my hair before I go (yes, this IS a weekly chore lol). As soon as I get home, I start laundry, put food away, and start prepping any meals I'm making (in the winter, especially, I cook 2-3 large meals on Saturday and eat leftovers all week and then freeze whatever is left). Then I clean the bathroom, vacuum the house and empty and scrub the litter boxes (every other week) and refill them fresh.

Then I put clean sheets on the bed. Then I work on any sewing projects I have going or crash, depending on energy level lol.

Sundays are more for relaxing since all my chores are done. I often cook or sew or do needlework while I watch movies :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
On workdays I get up at 5:30-ish. It used to be 5, but it is so dark and I just can't get out of bed that early! It cuts into my morning, but I leave room built in to cut. Let dog out to pee, set up coffee ready to turn on, let dog in, head down the hill to the barn. For the elderly mare who is in the barn (stall with run-out), clean, feed, water. For the herd, check and fill water trough while I am cleaning the old mare. Then up the hill to open up the chicken coop, clean and feed in there. This takes right around half an hour. Inside- turn on the coffee pot and get in the shower. Sit and have a cup of coffee while I see what the internet has done overnight while watching the local-ish morning news (there actually is no local news here- we get Boston news from 3 hours away, or Burlington news from 4 hours away). Then dress for work and out of the house by 7 the latest. Work 7:30-7, home at 7:30 pm. Close up animals if my SO isn't home yet, feeding and watering and cleaning the old mare stuck in the barn. At least the chickens are usually ready to go in by then! Then I get to sit and think if I want to actually eat anything. Usually not. A glass of wine and to bed.

On my days off- I get up when it is light, open up chickens and feed horses, usually put a round bale in the pasture if they are due. Come in and internet a bit while I make my to-do list. Usually that is laundry, food shop, feed store shop, pay bills, pick up mail, bottle my kombucha for the week and re-start it, make yogurt if I feel like it, soap if I feel like it, or whatever SS sort of thing I feel like doing. These chores are always interspersed with internet while I eat, or just sit for a minute.

I love having whole days to myself just to get things done!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I realize that of course there will be crazy days and emergencies, etc,
Ummm isn't that how each day is supposed to be? :gig I so need a routine but can't ever get past the ciaos! LOL

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I have my morning routine that I try to do seven days a week
6 get up and wake up/internet/news
6:30 food prep for day and breakfast prep
7:30 eat breakfast
8:00 chicken and dog chores/ jump on trampoline (10 min)
8:30 fix hair
9:00 makeup
9:30 leave for work (weekdays) or start other projects on weekends

Work nights are:
Tuesday: dinner/clean-up/pilates/anything else that needs doing
Wed:chiropracter/dinner/clean-up/extra project
Thurs: dinner/clean-up/pilates/anything else that needs doing
Fri: chiropracter/dinner/clean-up/extra project

Saturdays: I work 1/2 day so I go to the library & farmers market before work. Run to the grocery on the way home. Food prep.
Sunday: I try to stay home all day. This is usually my big SS day. Laundry in the morning in between other chores, baking, menu planning, house cleaning, and financials. (My DH works retail so he's usually not home)
Monday: We try to do stuff together, errands, shop projects, major house projects, craigslist, relax, etc.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Weekday:

6:30AM-7:30 Get up, feed horses, chickens, chicks, cats. Check water. Check fences as good as possible in the dark. Go into house, check cats there, get ready for work. leave at 7:30 to work. forget once again to eat breakfast.

8-12 work

12-1: run home (takes 20min), check critters, refill food where needed, check on the place, eat real quick, run back to work

1-5 work

5:30-7:30pm. Repeat of morning chores. Now I will also pick up all horse poop (6 drafts= tons of poop). Check on sick/injured animals, rotate horses to different grazing areas

7:30-9:00 make sure the house doesnt look like a bomb exploded. Try to make something to eat. Then collapse in front of TV or computer (to check on CL for more animals)

Weekend: totally unpredictable. I am lucky if I know on Friday what Ill do on Saturday, however, all critter chores stay in place.

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't really have a great routine either. My day starts around 6:45am or whenever a cat decides to jump on my head and ends around 11:00pm. I work 6 days a week and on Sunday I go to church. I manage to get everything else done in between. I try not to ever get so busy that I forget what I am working for.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GaFarmGirl said:
I don't really have a great routine either. My day starts around 6:45am or whenever a cat decides to jump on my head and ends around 11:00pm. I work 6 days a week and on Sunday I go to church. I manage to get everything else done in between. I try not to ever get so busy that I forget what I am working for.
:thumbsup

I try to keep my routines down to a T so that I dont forget anything. I am normally 100% accurate but when hubby comes home early on Thursdays I tend to get confused because he does some of the chores to help. I am real good at combining things: muck stalls while water is filling, etc. It all helps. 5 minutes saved here are 5min more for another project there :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when I had my full income farming happening, my list would be 50 pages

since shutting the farm life is wonderful to the max! check out this schedule:

5:30 wake up
1/2 to wake up lol

6 Nicole gets up
feed her, load into washer, get Nicole dressed, brush teeth all that mess

7 onto school bus

7:10 make soap batches like crazy

finish laundry

well, lets see....that is about ALL I HAVE TO DO on a schedule

I feed my few goats whenever, I run errands whenever, I clean whenever, have FUN whenever thru the day

2:30 get Nicole off bus, feed her and play a bit etc........

then get dinner started about 5-5:30 for hubby coming home at 6:30 or so.....if on his days off I don't even plan dinners

I am on friggin' easy street right now! :)

MIL delivered 5 watermelons from the 5 acres they planted...didn't do well...but the 5 I have are kinda ok. eat out the good parts and trash the rest of it lol

I have to say no garden this year is a miracle....it is so easy it is silly

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My routine is very flexible.

I try to get up before everyone for some exercise, but since DH has been off work (herniated discs, he returns next week) that has slacked off. Bad Leta, bad.

Upstairs: Getup, dressed, groomed and ready. Toss the dirty laundry down the steps*, make my bed, put everything that belongs downstairs in the "downstairs basket", wipe the bathroom.

Downstairs: Let dog out, put kettle on for coffee, while that's working, put basket stuff away. Throw dirty laundry into basement*, sort into sorter, start a load. Empty the dishwasher. Drink coffee, check email.

Back upstairs: Get the littles up (but usually they wake on their own), dressed, groomed, beds made. Feed them, rinse dishes and stack in dishwasher.

Outdoors: Shoo them outside, take laundry out and hang, put another load in*. Water the garden. Weed if needed.

That's the morning routine. Afternoons are pretty variable, other than eating lunch and cleaning it up.

Evening, it's put laundry away* and take clothes/pajamas upstairs**, make and clean up supper, tidy up downstairs, feed and water pets, toothbrushing, facewashing, bed.

If I'm making yogurt, I put the pot on when I start my coffee water. I sweep and cook and do projects in the afternoons.

*if it's a laundry day. I have two per week.

** We keep our clothes in the basement in the laundry area, so I have to take stuff upstairs a dishpan full at a time to be ready for the next day. I love this system so much that I never want a closet in a bedroom again- take that space, and turn it into built in bookshelves (with or without a desk). It has saved me time, work, aggravation and the bedrooms are so much easier to clean now!