Dairy Farming

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You found the goat lovers! If you go to the sister site backyardherds.com there are many more of us :)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wished we had a place big enough and fenced in for milk goats, but then I would have to be the one to milk them so I guess there is a pro and cons list going through my head. Clearing brush pro, vet cost con, cheese, yogurt, milk pro, milking con, lol. I guess its good that I don't have to decide but someday... It was a really good article though, very interesting. I always thought milk was milk. I use to get goat milk from a friend and it tasted like milk, no goaty taste. It would be a huge pro if I could feed milk to my chickens and raise some pigs.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another option would be a "mini cow" breed. I have always had an interest in Dexter cattle. I guess that would be a fair compromise.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dexters are cool. Biggest problem is cost. They're super expensive to buy compared to a full size cow. Then you have to do artificial insemination or find someone with a Dexter bull. If you can figure out how to get around those obstacles then yes, they're cool!

WeAreBornFree

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would be for goat's milk. Although I have yet to try it. Wonder if Sprouts might have it? Lol I'll look for a farm nearby, perhaps.

I don't drink cows milk but really enjoy almond milk as a substitute. Depending on how many almonds it takes to crush for milk every week, this may not be feasible when the goal is to be self sufficient.

Interesting thread. Now I'll go research what it would take to have a constant supply of almond milk (if possible.) Wish me luck trying out goats milk!