Dairy Sheep

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone have dairy sheep? I've been interested in the dualality of a dairy sheep for some time and wanted to ask a few questions about breeding for traits.

1. I am going to purchase a hair breed, possibly a Dorper and am interested in doing a little experimenting with making some butter.....just a little to see how it tastes, etc. Do the meat sheep have enough butter fat to their milk to do this?

2. If not, could one breed a hair sheep to a dairy sheep breed and still retain the most desirable traits of the two.....more milk, sheds their wool? Do you know of anyone who has successfully done this?

3. Also interested in making a little gouda cheese from sheeps milk... can this be done with a Dorper, considering the milk might not be optimal for making dairy byproducts?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MissPrissy on the BYC has dairy goats. Should we invite her over for a blow-by-blow of her operation?

Dodgegal79

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are a few breeds, most are dutch I believe. I'm not sure how it taste, but I'm sure its close to goat, maybe not so goaty?? I prefer sheep over goats anyday. They will stay in a fenced area and are not always looking for ways out. I know there is a Friesen sheep, i think they are for milking, and there are a few more. It maybe hard to find them, but I'm sure it would be worth it. Good luck.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have read several articles on Icelandic sheep. They are supposed to be marvelous dairy sheep, milking more like a goat, have a nice wool and usually triplet when lambing.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
MissPrissy on the BYC has dairy goats. Should we invite her over for a blow-by-blow of her operation?
I'm surprised she hasn't seen it yet.

Latest posts