damn coyotes

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Who got them?

went out about 1am last night to get something from the camper and those yotes were howling up a storm

I tell that sound just goes thru me....I hear that yowl and think dead livestock

so many around here now ugh

who has the yotes too?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We have them here, but so far they have kept their distance from our place. I want to get out in the next week or so, to the farm I hunt, and see if I can call them in........

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have them roll through all the time. Last week about 7 am I went out the back door to water the garden and there was one traveling right past me. Scarred me to death. My dog chased him off. Scroungy looking thing.

g

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have them here.

You can lay in bed and listen to them howling and yipping outside, although I've never actually seen one in our own yard.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They are bold as brass here, have walked right up to the back patio. We've lost numerous chickens to them, despite or best efforts to protect our chickies. Now we are buying one of those big chainlink dog kennels to keep the hens in; not as much roaming room as we'd like but at least they will live longer.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
got em here, plus wolves. I've learned to tell the difference between wolf howls and coyotes - coyotes yip. a couple of mornings ago, before dawn, I got to hear an incredible song of howls, in harmony! with choruses of something that wasn't yipping or growling, not barking, but - some kind of talking, if that makes sense. absolutely beautiful and I felt so lucky to hear it.

I have a chicken yard that is about120' by 80' and the chickens are in it unless I am home. So no problem with coyotes. I have seen the coyotes pass through, saw a wolf in the yard for the first time this summer. She kept to the edge of the meadow close to the trees and didn't venture towards the house, coop was on the other side.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
They're around here, but don't come close to our neighborhood. We used to hear them in the woods but haven't in a few years. Friends one town over have them wander throught their yard routinely. We did have what we believe was a coy-dog around last summer, really close, but it got hit by a car at the end of the summer. Foxes and hawks are our big concerns here.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we've got coyotes (and foxes) galore, but we've never had a problem with the coyotes. the people across the street have 2 mini jacks in with their cattle and we hear them beating the ever living poop out of coyotes every now and then, but somehow they've never bothered any of our livestock. all that separates my chicken/turkey pens from that cow field is a road and still haven't had any problems.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got them too. I have seen them in the back yard, probably as close as 100 feet to the house. We find their dropping frequently, so I have no idea how close they come when it's dark and we don't see them. :/

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hear them here all of the time. I don't have my birds anymore, so I don't have to worry about them harassing livestock. But, I have to admit, I love coyotes. They are awesome to listen to as you're going to sleep and they're so darn intelligent. They my favorite to hunt too, lol.