Dandelion Wine

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got the recipe for Dandelion wine from the book, The Backyard Homestead. Only thing is, I forgot to get the raisins. Here is the recipe:

3 quarts dandelion blossoms
1 gallon water
2 oranges, with peel
1 lemon, with peel
3 pounds sugar
1 ounce fresh yeast
1 pound raisins

Do you think it will still work without raisins or do I definitely need to have my husband grab them on the way home?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I read that recipe last night and wondered the same thing....I think they add a bit of acidity as well as some sweetness to it....wonder if you divided the batch, made some with and some without, and see what happens? I'd definitely be interested to know! :D :pop

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The raisins also provide minerals and tannins. You can use a few tea bags if you can't get raisins.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We will be attending the Dandelion Festival at the Breitenbach Winery this Friday. Boy do they ever make some GOOD wines! We even send in orders throughout the year and have it shipped to us, when we don't have the time to drive down to pick it up.
Their Dandelion Wine is to DIE for!! :drool :drool :drool
http://www.breitenbachwine.com/dandelion_festival_1.html

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know, I don't drink, and I don't like dandelions, but dandelion wine just sounds sooo good, doesn't it?

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
no raisin recipe

allrecipes.com

Ingredients
1 quart yellow dandelion blossoms, well rinsed
1 gallon boiling water
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
8 cups white sugar
1 orange, sliced
1 lemon slice

Directions
Place dandelion blossoms in the boiling water, and allow to stand for 4 minutes. Remove and discard the blossoms, and let the water cool to 90 degrees F (32 degrees C).
Stir in the yeast, sugar, orange slices, and lemon slice; pour into a plastic fermentor, and attach a fermentation lock. Let the wine ferment in a cool area until the bubbles stop, 10 to 14 days. Siphon the wine off of the lees, and strain through cheesecloth before bottling in quart-sized, sterilized canning jars with lids and rings. Age the wine at least a week for best flavor.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you guys think I could substitute dates? I forgot I have some in the pantry.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This sounds good, other then where am I going to find all those dandylions? they seem to be lacking in my yard this year.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
dntd said:
This sounds good, other then where am I going to find all those dandylions? they seem to be lacking in my yard this year.
How close are you to Mansfield Ohio? I can hook you up, BIG TIME! :lol:

Latest posts