Dark Circles Under Eyes

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow Hi All!

This is a vanity problem of sorts :p . My mom took me to the doctor when I was about 10 years old to check on the dark circles under my eyes. He said I must not be getting enough sleep, but this problem has persisted :barnie . I am borderline anemic but can't take iron tablets as they disagree with me. I do get enough sleep - at least 8 hours per night. I try to eat iron rich foods such as spinach, red meat on occasion, and cook in a cast iron skillet as I was told that this increases the iron in the foods I cook. Still no help. I am sick of wearing undereye cover up which looks very fake to me. My labs are normal. No one else in my family has this. Why me :he ? I am so tired of being told "you look tired." I am NOT tired , this is the way I look :/ . Is there anyone out there who can help, or should I just ignore their comments and accept and APPRECIATE the face God gave me :D ?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I would not call it a vanity problem. Anemia and its possible causes are serious.
Certain foods will cause iron to not be absorbed. Gluten is the biggest one, especially today.
You can test going gluten free for a month, to see what happens.
Nothing to lose doing it if its not the problem, but everything to gain if it is.
Once the month is up, eat a very small amount and wait a day to see what happens.
Be aware that you may have a reaction to it.

Gluten is in Wheat, Spelt, Kamut, Rye and Barley.
And it hides in labels all over the supermarket.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmmm... everything the modern nutritionists tell us to eat is those very products you mentioned. Healthy carbs they are called. So now that I've weaned myself off of the "white" carbs, I need to wean myself off of these carbs too :he What's left :/ ?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Some gluten free grains are amaranth, buckwheat, millet, and quinoa. I can eat gluten fine, but I still enjoy these.

My niece gets them from allergies too, but in her case they happen from milk or milk products. She looks like she has twin "shiners" whenever she cheats about dairy stuff.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have alwys been told the dark circles were alergy related as well.

The dairy connection is interesting. I will need watch this with my 5 yo.

G

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad has asthma and allergies, and I have allergies as well. We both have darker skin color under our eyes. I don't know if it is the allergies, or just our natural complexion though? We are both fairly dark skinned (my grandpa was Mexican).

I use pineapple juice on my face. It needs to be from a fresh pineapple, because pastuerized doesn't have the enzymes needed. Not only will pineapple juice remove the dead skin from your face, but it will also correct skin tone. Be careful of course when you apply under your eyes to not get it in your eyes. I think any type of acidic juice would work, like lemon juice, but I like the pineapple juice becuase it smells so good and we love to eat fresh pineapple.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
calendula said:
My dad has asthma and allergies, and I have allergies as well. We both have darker skin color under our eyes. I don't know if it is the allergies, or just our natural complexion though? We are both fairly dark skinned (my grandpa was Mexican).

I use pineapple juice on my face. It needs to be from a fresh pineapple, because pastuerized doesn't have the enzymes needed. Not only will pineapple juice remove the dead skin from your face, but it will also correct skin tone. Be careful of course when you apply under your eyes to not get it in your eyes. I think any type of acidic juice would work, like lemon juice, but I like the pineapple juice becuase it smells so good and we love to eat fresh pineapple.
Generally, dark under eyes is not normal. It is indicative of liver issues.
If the eyes are puffy, then the kidneys are indicated.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
cabinchick said:
Hmmmm... everything the modern nutritionists tell us to eat is those very products you mentioned. Healthy carbs they are called. So now that I've weaned myself off of the "white" carbs, I need to wean myself off of these carbs too :he What's left :/ ?
Forget that crazy pyramid :)
Here is a better one...
37989_best-food-pyramid.jpg

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Some gluten free grains are amaranth, buckwheat, millet, and quinoa. I can eat gluten fine, but I still enjoy these.

My niece gets them from allergies too, but in her case they happen from milk or milk products. She looks like she has twin "shiners" whenever she cheats about dairy stuff.
Yup, and add Teff to that list. And of course rice. Basmati is the best!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
cabinchick said:
Forget that crazy pyramid :)
Here is a better one...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/37989_best-food-pyramid.jpg
Now that is the kind of pyramid I've been looking for. THANKS!

I agree that the dark circles probably have a liver/digestion link. Trying gluten free is a great suggestion.