Dawn dish soap

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the heat of the summer, we wash the dogs almost daily. We use the spare horse tank (the one with chicks in it now) outside and keep a bottle of dawn beside it. Makes it easy. And I haven't used a chemical on a dog for fleas in- I don't know how long.

We have used it on cats and young puppies and kittens also.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn is the #1 soap around here too... use it for almost everything! Clothes pretreatment, critter wash, diluted in a spray for cleaning the greasy stove, a few drops in the dish washer, and more. If my hair is extra oily I I put a few drops in my hand with the shampoo! The only drawback I find is because it cuts oil and grease so well, after bathing some of the critters they need a dab of conditioner. No big deal at all considering what they were like before the bath!

I wonder when they first developed it if they realized the scope if what it would become? They must be very happy with it!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Not really. It's just soap but it seems to be the strongest, soapiest dish detergent on the market. It has been used to quell killer bee infestations from South America, to kill fire ants and their huge nests, and to kill intestinal/external parasites.

It does all this by dissolving the natural, protective oils on these creature's bodies, allowing bacteria to do the rest of the dirty work. From what I've read, when their oils are dissolved this leaves them horribly vulnerable to environmental bacterias that kill them pretty quickly.
1ST Not a soap, but a very well balanced detergent, fairly close to a shampoo formulation. There are tons of detergents that will kil insects faster than Dawn But you would NOTwant around kids or pets.
Vets and other animal washers love it because it rinses out well and the little residue that is left is harmless if the animal grooms its self orally [most do] I formulated detergents professionally for years and Dawn is one of the best [No I did not work for P&G]

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
The folks who clean the crude oil from the birds and other animals will not use ANYTHING but Dawn!
Must be something to it!
Trim sends
//BT//
Hey Trim i missed your post the first time thru. P&G Donates the stuff by the truck load so it is good, free and is good free press for P&G a classic WIN-WIN FOR ALL! ~gd