Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While most goats will not willingly let other than own kid nurse, some will. Mostly the goats are milked to use the milk for feeding fosters & orphans. BUT I did once see a goat who raised a foal. Started by putting goat on stand and letting foal nurse. Goat eventually accepted it like that. Odd.

AND I have know of a very few mares who would let others nurse them. I watched a foal "bring a friend" for a snack one day. Mom smelled hers & ok but, after a few mouthsful of grass she checked other one and moved away! :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH got the barn cleaner running today. Barely, and thank goodness!!! We forked out the gutter to get it started, and then had to fork it all back in. Ram pen is down to concrete (it's the easy one). Ewe pen is 6 - 8 hardpack bedding. :/ no fun to clean that out! We didn't do it today.

We caught lambs, tagged, vaccinated, castrated, tail bands. 2 of the new-wethers were acting like they were dying. Got themselves a banamine injection. Usually they don't react so much. IDK, it was kinda weird. They were fine after supper. I have notes on one with bad conformation and a 100% cull - turned out to be a boy, so whatever. And one of the ewe lambs was particularly easy to handle, so I will keep my eye on her especially in case we end up selling ewe lambs this year.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It sounds like you guys had a busy day!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH is buying a small manure spreader today! It hasn't been towed on a road for years, so he will be driving home on the backroads - 80 miles! - verrry slowly. Glad I'm staying home! I sent a list of various potting soils I need to keep starting seeds for the garden and for potting African Violets. It's almost warm enough to ship AV! I'm hoping to swap leaves and plants and get more micro varieties. (the smaller the plants, the more I can fit on my shelf! :gig )

I ordered another batch of soap from our local soapmaker. She is amazing! This one is unscented hypoallergenic. And also some dishwashing bar soap. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH is driving home with the manure spreader, 30 mph. :gig He has a couple hours of driving left.