Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Peas did poorly last year. They are coming up strong this year so we'll see. DH put manure down between pea rows last year and I suspect it wasn't aged enough. It's broken down sufficiently now. Hmm, now that I think about it, the brassicas were in the area DH put manure down. Maybe that's all it was and I'm just not patient enough for seedlings to come up? IDK.

I have been broadcasting white clover and growing plugs and transplanting those in. It's not a lot, but I'm hoping to have living mulch everywhere. At my previous home/garden, we had a little native weed that we let grow for groundcover - it was so nice! Last year I accidentally planted pole beans as bush beans and they sure covered their spot! That's a great idea to plant the rest of that seed for groundcover and use up the seed. I didn't like that variety of bean at all.

I should put in a row of potatoes so I can try to kill a generation of potato bugs. My plan is to not rotate potatoes until the potato bugs are under control. I love your idea for putting hay over the potato patch!

I can plant corn. I don't know what is growing on our rented cropland, but it's not corn! I have glass gem "indian" corn seed saved from last year. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I went to the quilt shop today. The tshirt memory quilt for my sister is almost done! I just have to handstitch the binding on the back. I worked on DS4's quilt too. I'm ready to start piecing the blocks together.

DS12 started sorting bins of fabric scraps by color. The shop owner chewed him out for not doing his homework. :love Her son was very similar. She assures me DS12 will probably turn out okay.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on your quilt progress! That's awesome - hope you can post pics when finished. Good shop-owner. Sounds like she's a no-nonsense kinda woman who has been there, done that. Great first 'boss' for DS12!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I sewed for 5 hours last night to finish the quilt. It's amazing how nice it looks considering I started from a bag of dirty stained tshirts. (He was a hard working man!)
2019 06 06 Meri's Memory Quilt.jpg

DS12 had allergist appointment today. He does not have true allergies to common allergens. He might possibly be allergic to kiwi, but I didn't think it was worth doing a special blood test for it. He wasn't cross-reactive to pollens which can be possible with kiwi allergy so there's not much to do other than to have him not eat kiwi.

Baymax wanted to work today so she came with. Her first time going along on a doctor appointment. She did great! My biggest worry was she would release a stinky fart. Fortunately she did not. I ended up having a tough time today and needed her. She must have known something. Usually she sees us getting ready to leave and she goes to hop on beds while she can get away with it. Today she was outside trying to get into the car and wouldn't listen when I told her to go inside. Hmmm...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she’s reading you very well now. So glad she’s so intuitive and is learning to be a help to you!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
2019 06 06 Embroidered Quilt Before After.jpg

Antique embroidered quilt restoration done! Lost a little bit of color in the pink triangles. I had to use automotive degreaser (Super Clean) to get some stains out. Also used artist's paint brush restorer, 91% isopropyl alcohol, Retro Clean, lots of regular detergents. Probably soaked 2 weeks all together and about 6 washes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Progress pic of DS4's quilt. Reconstruction of the remains of a quilt DH's grandmother made for him. Unfortunately she used vintage fabric then and it fell apart. I saved what I could and stabilized them, then surrounded them with new fabric. The pink floral squares were the old quilt's backing.
2019 06 06 Garrett's Quilt top in progress.jpg

Latest posts