Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Birdslave

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We put an offer on a property! Modest 2 bedroom home, old dutch style barn, a small outbuilding in disrepair on 40 acres that were cleared a very long time ago. It is brushy grassland with some low-lying area. Problem is there were multiple offers on it! It was only on the market 4 days! So we are waiting... we've been advised that people who put in full-price offers will get an opportunity to put a "best price" offer. We put a full-price offer in, so we still have a chance at it!

In the meantime, I'm daydreaming! As a family, we want chickens. My fianc and son (6 years old) would like to raise fair pigs. I want a sheep for wool, and I adore goats. I have no purpose for goats. I just love them. So I'm thinking little pygmy goats to keep the cost of PET goats down, or pygora goats for wool and nix the sheep.
:celebrateI wish you all good news!!! It sounds like a very fun adventure! I had pigmy goats. They are very smart and sweet. The guys are stinky, but not the gals at all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a friend's dog at my house again today. (from the family that has Roz, the border collie I want to adopt if I can get DH on-board) This one is a little german shepherd. She's a bit freaked out by everything in my house. She is chilling under the dining table while I pretend I'm getting work done. Yesterday I had one of their border collies (not Roz, sadly). Hopefully I get to borrow Roz tomorrow. When I dropped off their other border collie last night, Roz ran to say hi to me. Pretty sure I've never seen a dog run that fast. Maybe she's just a fast dog, but it was heartwarming. Then she jumped in my car, snuggled up in the backseat between my kids and didn't want to get out. :love

Having dogs visit in my house is very good for Boi. He is still too concerned about other / unfamiliar dogs. He is improving a little. I think it also helps him when I come home from the animal shelter smelling like other dogs. He is getting able to visit the dog park, on-leash, and wearing a muzzle. His bad habit is that if he is afraid of another dog he will lunge at it and chase - with his mouth open. But there have been a couple dogs he was able to play with off-leash. It's tough because he is afraid of dogs who are afraid of him :rolleyes: and most dogs are afraid of him because he's gigantic.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm having a good day! Roz is at my house today. :love Boi is doing better with other dogs here. He interacted with the german shepherd off-leash and without a muzzle yesterday. No muzzle today. He didn't lose it when Roz air-snapped at his face because he was too close.

I am getting professional headshot photos taken today, so I've done my hair, put on a little makeup. I don't look like myself now. :gig Boi is coming with for the photo shoot, wish us luck, we need it! I hope he doesn't get too pouty about being told how/where to sit. He can look pathetic when he wants to. 🙄🤦‍♀️

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My property is under quarantine for avian flu. I think that means it's within 6 miles, if I remember correctly.

We got notice from the state veterinarian saying that they are conducting surveys and "collecting samples" within the quarantine area. Ugh, I hope we aren't selected for sampling. I only have 7 chickens! And I can't buy hatching eggs or chicks while under quarantine.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My property is under quarantine for avian flu. I think that means it's within 6 miles, if I remember correctly.

We got notice from the state veterinarian saying that they are conducting surveys and "collecting samples" within the quarantine area. Ugh, I hope we aren't selected for sampling. I only have 7 chickens! And I can't buy hatching eggs or chicks while under quarantine.
No!!! I have been watching it closely. Couple cases in the county north of us and 1 in my county but about 40 min south.

Fingers crossed all goes well! How long is quarantine 30 days?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No!!! I have been watching it closely. Couple cases in the county north of us and 1 in my county but about 40 min south.

Fingers crossed all goes well! How long is quarantine 30 days?
once it gets here, it spreads like crazy because there are so many turkey farms. Since 4/1/22, 256,397 birds have been depopulated in my county for avian influenza. all but 150 were from commercial flocks. The quarantine is indefinite, until DATCP says it's over.

Latest posts