Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a white and black dress with minor stains on the white. I was pretty sure I could get them out. I pretreated, stripped and handwashed. O.m.g., the filth in that dress was incredible 🤮 all the used-to-be-white grunge came out without any special treatments. I'm not a fan of white and black but I like the cut of the dress so I plan to dye it. It needs a couple minor repairs too. $8

I might enter it in the "recycled garment" class of the county fair. I regret not taking a before photo!

Lots of fabric items end up in thrift stores for laundry fails. I scored my bath towels for cheap because they had fabric softener residue on them. They were scratchy and non-absorbent. I knew what was wrong, bought them, stripped them, and I have fluffy lux bath towels in my favorite color for cheap 😁

stripped them how? :)

and actually if you have any ideas on how to get fabric softener or other stinks out of fabrics that would be great to hear too. we've tried a lot of things, but perhaps we've missed something you know of... :) (starting another thread would probably be good too?...)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
stripped them how? :)

and actually if you have any ideas on how to get fabric softener or other stinks out of fabrics that would be great to hear too. we've tried a lot of things, but perhaps we've missed something you know of... :) (starting another thread would probably be good too?...)
How exactly depends on your water and washing machine. Look up Fluff Love Science- its about washing cloth diapers.

I use combinations and/or series of washing soda, powder laundry detergent, odormute enzyme powder, ironout (whites only), borax and/or calgon laundry water softener. And a final bleach for whites.

This particular dress I pretreated with diluted dish detergent spray, then soaked in 1/2 cup washing soda + 1/2 cup laundry detergent in 1 gallon hot water. Then hand washed 4x in warm water, then machine wash because I didnt want to rinse and wring.

If you want to play, try stripping a clean white sheet that was previously washed in a machine. Spoiler: washing machines do a terrible job of washing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Buddy is doing great with his kennel! Still working on sit at doorways. He started riding in the car with a seat belt - that is hard for him! He also had a little time loose in my house today. He still has a long ways to go, but things are looking hopeful.

Canned 4 quarts apple butter. DS15 did most of the work. :love

DS15 made meatloaf. 1 for supper, 3 in the freezer. Thanks @Country homesteader for inspiration!

I made a document for 4-H and passed it on to people who will make decisions about it. Organized a big pile of papers into a binder.

Grocery shopped at ALDI. Got my normal stuff and a couple extra to buffer winter food prices.

DH got major bad news at work. Lots of uncertainty there. 😕

DS15 had a good day. He was rather talkative too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS15 is suspended from school, so I haven't been free to do my usual routine. This is a few days combined
  • Stain/finish bathroom cabinets, door, trim
  • Paint bathroom shelves (in progress, its a bit too humid for good painting/drying)
  • Harvest and dehydrate basil
  • Starting a business, I've been busy with legal stuff, web presence, etc. I hoped to get it done this week, but DS15...
  • Boi got his big button set. He is starting over - he knows the words but doesn't know which button is which. He has 16 buttons - double his old soundboard.
  • Chickens are eating tons of apples - as long as I chop them into slaw 🙄 They're getting quite tame 🤩

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the suspension, hopefully it isn't too long and things are able to get back on track :hugs
It's minimum 5 days. Possibly longer. :/

I haven't slept much since he was suspended on Thursday. He requires as much supervision as an infant, so I can't do anything productive during the day. I had been staying up late or all night to get *%(@ done. My body informed me this morning that it was not okay. 😂😩 Thankfully DH has half days of work today and tomorrow so I can rest.

• I bought more chicks. 5 lavender orpingtons (straight run) because I just love the breed now, and a pair of wheaten seramas :love
  • Still going on setting up the business.
  • Still painting my bathroom shelves. I had to turn the AC on today because the paint has been so slow to dry. It was supposed to be a one-day project...
  • Baked oatmeal cookies for kids' breakfasts

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been busy today, but not much to show for it.
  • I signed up as a 4-H club co-leader. I met with the other leader today to schedule and plan meetings.
  • I picked up forms for making 4-H record books for the whole club.
  • I submitted newsletter information for 4-H Houseplant Project.
  • I built more pages of the 4-H houseplant project website.
  • Signed up to lead two 4-H discovery day classes. One in Nov on making dog toys, and one in Feb on calligraphy/hand lettering. I need to practice instructing and collect supplies.
  • I completed formatting/layout of 4-H dog training instructions. (now I have to edit and layout many documents...)
  • I am an AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluator now. :celebrate That one feels good, can't wait to get my testing kit!
  • Business insurance obtained! Starts 10/1. I have work to do to get ready for that!
  • I'm still working on my Fear Free shelter course. It's really good content but boring because I know most of it. I just need to get it done.
  • Started AKC FIT dog instructor training. I want to teach dog fitness classes in winter. We all need it!
In other words, my house is a mess and I have no idea what's for supper.