Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with you @FarmerJamie - my son was the same way. We tried to hide or lock away snacks to be enjoyed over a week or so - but he'd find them and devour (or hide them from us) every chance he got, lol. It was a constant battle. It was such a struggle that it led to a new holiday tradition for us. For years I fought with my family to stick to better eating habits and save the "bad" snacks for the occasional special occasion. Walking through the grocery store one year before Christmas I was seeing snacks that they would beg for if they were with me. Soooo - I started buying all their favorite "bad" snacks. I bought each of their favorite soft drinks, cookies, candy, gum snack cakes - all the things they craved. I wrapped them up in a huge box for each person, DS, DD and (at that time) DH. You should have seen the look on their faces as they opened those gifts. It was a hit and continued until each of them left the house - (including the 1sh dH).

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm with you @FarmerJamie - my son was the same way. We tried to hide or lock away snacks to be enjoyed over a week or so - but he'd find them and devour (or hide them from us) every chance he got, lol. It was a constant battle. It was such a struggle that it led to a new holiday tradition for us. For years I fought with my family to stick to better eating habits and save the "bad" snacks for the occasional special occasion. Walking through the grocery store one year before Christmas I was seeing snacks that they would beg for if they were with me. Soooo - I started buying all their favorite "bad" snacks. I bought each of their favorite soft drinks, cookies, candy, gum snack cakes - all the things they craved. I wrapped them up in a huge box for each person, DS, DD and (at that time) DH. You should have seen the look on their faces as they opened those gifts. It was a hit and continued until each of them left the house - (including the 1sh dH).
I did this one year. Both kids got sick 😅

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i hope they figure it out. personally i'd tell them that you're not going to control what they eat but you'll be happy to help them figure it out if they do have food issues. all kids can eat a ton of calories (i could eat four full plates of spaghetti, meatballs, cheese and garlic bread) so you really don't want to stand in the way of that kind of energy requirement. i also was working pretty hard so i burned those calories.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's so fun! I was never on a restricting diet after I developed my ED, But I think I would enjoy it now! Putting that on the list of ideas!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been severely limited by fatigue since my flu vaccine a couple weeks ago. a COVID booster this week has increased my fatigue. So... I started digging again. I had a strong hunch from previous medical workups and symptoms that I have something going wrong with mitochondria. My symptoms change dramatically depending on diet, so I focused on the inputs mitochondria need to function.

There was an easy match - thiamine deficiency. Matches my symptoms, previous bloodwork oddities, and diet.

I ordered a medical textbook on the topic which relates my diagnoses to thiamine deficiency. It includes treatment plans, dosing, etc, and since thiamine is very low risk even in massive doses, I'm trying it. The book cautions that treatment cause worse symptoms at first because the body begins healing which increases energy demand and need for thiamine. The book also cautions that in chronic cases it can take months to respond to treatment.

I am hopeful this is the end of my medical issues. :fl