DE in grains for storage?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:yuckyuck CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, if you please! :lol:

It is nice to have a sounding board of folks who are trying to move in the same direction, isn't it, Free? Sort of why I kind of twisted yer arm to get over here.....we have more going on in our heads than chicken litter over here on the SS! :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Stupid random question, not really planning on doing it myself, just always kind of wondered.

If you wanted airtight storage using a regular 5-gal bucket, how bad would it be to just run a bead of silicone caulk around the outside of the crack after you put the lid on as tight as you could. I know it offgasses acetic acid but a) that's what vinegar is, and b) how much of that would really get into the bucket o' grain?

Anyone ever tried it?

Pat
I have not tried it, but I read several people have done it, but they stated it made the lids one time use. So that is why I did not try it that way. The reason I did the works is because I bought brand new food grade and I could feel the lids lift a little and I do not want to ruin my investment :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense, sufficientforme, I think I will go with 5-gallon pails, and I will line them with paper bags to help with any moisture from temp fluctuation. I will start with 100# of wheat, half hard red and half soft white. That should keep me busy for a while!

We have a goal this year to have people over for a meal and board games at least once a month, as soon as we get the house back together (much damage from ice dam last year, crazy year with sick parents, just clearing the dining room now). I am thinking things like soup with bread bowls, which I never made before, nevermind with all whole-wheat flour! And homemade noodles in the soup.

Basicly, I just want to be able to show off! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:yuckyuck CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, if you please! :lol:

It is nice to have a sounding board of folks who are trying to move in the same direction, isn't it, Free? Sort of why I kind of twisted yer arm to get over here.....we have more going on in our heads than chicken litter over here on the SS! :lol:
Yes, Bee, YOU WERE RIGHT!!! Now go and enjoy that for a little while. :plbb

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Makes sense, sufficientforme, I think I will go with 5-gallon pails, and I will line them with paper bags to help with any moisture from temp fluctuation. I will start with 100# of wheat, half hard red and half soft white. That should keep me busy for a while!

We have a goal this year to have people over for a meal and board games at least once a month, as soon as we get the house back together (much damage from ice dam last year, crazy year with sick parents, just clearing the dining room now). I am thinking things like soup with bread bowls, which I never made before, nevermind with all whole-wheat flour! And homemade noodles in the soup.

I love clam chowder in a bowl, it has good memories for me LOL. I am sure they will turn out fantastic, and you will have your bragging rights!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You folks storing red hard wheat and white wheat, which is best for making crusty breads, pizza and such...? What type of grain mill do you use to make your own flour...? I'm thinking of getting a hand operated one in case the electric grid is down for some time.. When buying wheat, do they sometimes call it wheat berries...? or is that something totally different...? thanks..kevin

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:

beeprepaired.com sells the mylar bags to fit into the 5/6 gal buckets. I have filled mine and rolled them down tight on top of the grain or sugar. They actually stay rolled and keep less air off of the food. I love the gamma seal lids. For me I open my bulk storage about once a month to refill the kitchen pantry. It's nice to be able to close them back up.

For my bulk purchases I found my local health foods store will sell me 50lb bags at a 10% discount for buying in bulk. I usually wait for whatever is on sale.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I e-mailed Whole Foods about a month ago when I started my serious search for grains, and they forwarded it to the local store manager, who e-mailed me within the hour. He invited me to contact him with any item I would like to have him special order. I e-mailed him twice with my list, a week apart, and have not received any kind of reply. So they get this negative post online for all to see. West Hartford, CT store, btw.

Grrrr! :rant :somad

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just e-mailed honeyville grains about peanuts, hoping they might have stuff that is not on the site. I got a reply, very polite and nice even though the answer was no. Within 12 minutes. Hmmmm.....that alone gets my business.