DE in grains for storage?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Who has experience adding food grade Diatomaceous earth to your grains for long term storage? I am still researching options. Thanks

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I have not done it yet, but I am open to the idea. I have not had any pest problems (so far :fl ) in the wheat, barley, oats or rice (but the rice I keep in the freezer). They are all in plastic buckets with tight lids, and my pantry has no infestation. I put most smaller amount grains in 1 gal glass jars. I have had problems years ago with corn storage. This time I put my corn out in their buckets in the cold night air, and covered them during the day so they got a good 4 day freeze at low temps. I hope this killed any thing that was there when I bought the grain.

I have used DE in the chicken grain larger garbage container. The feed I buy is much more likely to arrive with weevils or moths, and I keep it in a separate building. I put the DE in and mixed, it worked. Plus I don't mind the chickens eating some!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I haven't done it, but heck, that's what the stuff is mainly MADE for, right, putting in stored grains? Albeit usually stored in much huger quantities than 5 gal buckets :)

I'd say go ahead and try it, maybe erring on the side of less rather than mroe.

Good luck, tell us how it works out,

Pat

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Proportions I found on the internet for whole grains is 1/2 cup or less mixed in with the grain before sealing in 5 gallon bucket. Not sure I will know any results for months after checking the buckets. Have not quite talked myself into doing it yet.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I like the idea of putting it in the garage, etc. in freezing temps to kill stuff. That is speeding up my timetable, as it is VERY cold here tonight, wishing I had some buckets of grain freezing out in my garage now....nothing would survive! I hadn't thought of it arriving with bugs. Just thought about keeping bugs out!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I could use the cold from outdoors, but it does not get that cold here. To top is off my huge freezer is already full to the max. I just finished sterilizing the new 1/2 gallon mason jars I got, drug out the buckets and liners. I really need to get this done, I have to stop procrastinating I don't want it to spoil.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense....I always put all my whole grain products, herbs, etc that I purchase into glass jars as soon as I get home. This way if any bugs come home with me, they are quaranteened. I will be looking for food grade buckets and lids this weekend and ordering my grain as soon as I get the storage containers....might even have some here, gotta look. Does anyone know, besides if food came in them, what constitutes food grade? I have some large buckets that horse vitamins came in, might work.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I decided on using the DE in my grain buckets. I scooped enough into a bowl and already had the set amount to use per 5 gallon bucket measured out and added it to each batch. I put it in bowl then coated the grains lightly and tossed into a mylar lined bag. Added oxygen absorbers and sealed the mylar bag shut with my iron. Whew, I am done and I hope I have done it right :D

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think thats about how i'm going to do my bulk storage as well, Sufficentforme...
A couple of questions, aren't thier two types of DE..? Food grade and non-food grade...? And exactly how do you seal the mylar bags with an iron..? I assume you mean a clothing iron, don't really know of any other type.thanks.Kevin