Dealing with discouragement

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm soooo there! We've got half started projects all over the place! We're half way through building a real chicken coop, were behind on garden plans, and we never got some things planted last year that we wanted to plant before we got bees, which we planned for this spring. Now we'll probably hold off on the bees. We still don't have our rabbit hutches built (something else we want to add this year). And we're still working on raised garden beds. My garden was a big bust last year (our first on this property).
@Chic Rustler, from where I stand, you've passed us up this year! I enjoy reading all you've been doing. I think on a site like this it's awfully easy to try to do too much too soon because we see what everyone else has been doing for years. I'm impressed with what you've done this year.

Thank you for the kind words.

Last year I believe we produced around 10% of our food (and sold some) I'm really hoping for somewhere near 50% this year. But that's a big goal!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm making progress for sure. But I have ALOT to get done by spring. Still not sure how these seedlings are gonna turn out

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ha, oh @Chic Rustler , being overwhelmed is my MO.

My brain likes to keep me in a state of feeling overwhelmed to the point that it can be very difficult to get started, let alone do part of a project! So maybe this type of life isn't for me, but I just keep going anyway! So I too reiterate what everyone else has said. I need to recognize the things that I've done that I'm proud of, and I remind myself that all the expectations and pressures of are my own making. So anything accomplished is a plus!

So ya, I think you're doing great! And being overwhelmed is a very natural reaction to all the great things you want to accomplish! Keep on keeping on :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FJ's post - THAT is an example of just keeping on keeping on!

Last year wasn't exactly a banner year on my little homestead...but ya gotta just keep looking ahead. There will be setbacks and there will be wins! It's all part of the cycle.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am in awe of my grandparents who raised 7 children and fed them from small farmsteads. No equipment except the hand tools and borrowed the plow horse "Nellie" in early Spring to get the first turn of the garden behind them. Can't even begin to feel what must have been "pressure" to hoe a garden large enough to feed 9 people!!! Canned, pickled, dried...all their feed. Talk about needing to hunt? They had no electric, a well with a bucket. Some chickens. Heated & cooked with wood.

It has taken many, many years to realize what a feat that was :old

They were much stronger than this generation for sure. That's clean living

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah. Like right now I know I really need to get the garden ready. But I'm also stuck on the idea of putting in a drive point well. But I'm going to finish it first

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed~ thanks for that information.

I’m just getting seriously into the medicinal plants.. I grow my elderberry for my cold and flu medicine, comfrey salve and dandelion salve is the only things I’ve done so far.

I’ve been reading blogs,bought many books and watching YouTube videos to learn as much as I can. There is so many things to learn.. Im truly excited to go the all natural route..and void the clutter of having so many different products in my cabinets.

I would love to hear what others make for their medicinal use.