Dealing with trespassers/vandals

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I'm a bit ticked off right now. Actually, I'm just downright angry. My husband thinks that I'm overreacting (if I ever get him to join here he's going to find this post and give me a hard time about it, I can only imagine...:lol) Today somebody damaged our large farm sign at the end of our drive. Looks like they took a rock or some other heavy object and hit it, putting a nice dent in it (it's a metal sign, with vinyl lettering), and then scratched some of the letterring. This is in addition to the numerous BB gun marks already dotting its surface, as some neighbor kids (cannot figure out which ones) have occasionally used it for target practice.

Like I said, I'm angry. I assume it's neighborhood pre-teens/teens (there are several). But I will never figure out which ones, if it was. This isn't the first time we've dealt with others (usually kids, but sometimes parents of said kids) coming onto our property without permission and/or damaging property. We have 60 acres, a large part of which is wooded. So there are plenty of ways for people to come onto our property undetected. At one point we had a group of kids chopping down trees and digging mounds of dirt up to create motocross trails for their dirt bikes! And we've caught adults wandering on our property, too. I once chased off the owner/developer of the subdivision next to us on his ATV. He was well onto our property-driving the ATV down our trails--obviously scouting deer to poach. Said he "didn't know where the property line was". Biggest bunch of BS I ever heard, dude, you subdivided and sold the chunk of land next to us, you probably know better than we do where the line is! We also caught one of the parents of some of the kids who were tearing stuff up to build dirt bike trails, walking on our driveway having come out of the woods on that side of our property. They used the same property line excuse. Well, if your in my driveway, coming out of the woods on my property, I think it's more than obvious you're not on your property anymore. :rolleyes:

We had the entire perimeter posted with No Trespassing signs. They have all disappeared. I bought more today.

I have a hard time dealing with the lack of respect for my property. The sign isn't fancy, though a new one would probably cost a few hundred dollars to replace, simply because it is large and custom made. And it's been here for almost 20 years. And I like it. But none of those things really matter, what I'm all fired up about is it's mine and someone trashed it. Why?

I am also very worried about poachers. We have a lot of pasture and several horses...and bullets do weird things. We also like to hike down the drive (it's 1/2 mile long) and to the lake our property borders. I'm sure that we've already had poachers and just haven't known. Most importantly, it's not safe; but also important to me is the fact that, well, how dare someone think that they have the right to come onto my property and kill animals? How dare someone think that they have the right to come onto my property at all, unless they are going to come up to the house, say hi, and introduce themselves--and ask to come on my property, if they have a reason to?

I know it would help if we hiked along the property more often. Lately, we have been tied down with being parents and the never-ending list of farm chores and projects. But if we could be more of a presence along the perimeters of the property, that would certainly help. But I don't know what else to do. I can't prove who damaged our sign, so it won't help me any to call the police (though my family thinks that that would be a waste of time for the police, for just a sign; I agree, for "just a sign", but for trespassing and vandalizing, what else do you do?).

We've been here 11+ years. All of the neighbors on both sides of our property are newcomers; there are two subdivisions, one on each side, and all have been built in the last 5 years or so. Since then, we've had an increasing number of these incidents, and it's only getting worse.

I know this is long, so if anyone has stuck with me 'till now, thanks for listening. :) Does anyone have any advice of how I can protect my property a bit better?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, my dad dealt with this for many years with the exact same situations and always heard the exact same excuses...funny how stupid people have so little imagination, isn't it?

One solution, if you have the guts for it, is to place a few well-aimed bullets near them while you are under cover. The story will spread like wild fire and people will pause a little before they step over the line....but there are always the stubborn, the world is mine and why not? individuals that will think it won't happen to them. For ATV or motorbike riders a well-placed wire across a trail at the level of handle bars can cause a nasty surprise. Hilljacks in the trail for trespassing tires are nice also.

Now, I gave these examples as things that others I know have tried in the past. Some of them are a bit risky and can cause more problems...law suits, death...I don't know but I can imagine.

My dad finally hit on a good solution and, if you have cell phone service there, even better. When you find someone on your property, tell them to wait right there....keep the DNR on speed dial and call your officer right then. They are required to come. If the person starts to walk or ride away, follow them to their vehicle, during or after, your call and snap a pic of them and their license plate. If they are riding an ATV, take a pic, if you know where they live, go there and take a pic of their house, vehicle and ATV. Let them see you do it. If the DNR won't respond, call the police and tell them you found someone on your property and they threatened you with a gun(its your word against theirs). These folks will have to say that they were on your property but didn't have a gun....then will have to explain why they were on your property. Use their own tactics...bug, annoy, call the DNR, call the cops, take pics, take it to court. Follow through....don't do a lot of threatening, just a lot of action. Pretty soon they'll get a little leary of trespassing, just because of all the trouble. I guarantee your sign will be shot to pieces... but maybe the land will be left alone!

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't resort to violence that will only get you in trouble. If you have a cell phone and catch them on your property DO TAKE THEIR PICTURE. This way you can show the DNR or State Police the person that was treaspassing. There are laws against treaspassing at least in my state.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's a DNR?

Anyway, it's absurd that you should have to patrol your property to keep people off it. Ridiculous! When I was a kid, my grandma had 18 acres that we kids used to wander around on endlessly. I can't imagine having to scout out 60 acres on a regular basis. You'd have to hire people!

Cassandra

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I like what Beekissed said. I kind-of have used that method. I have the local police number on speed dial and whip out my phone as soon as I see someone on our property, who doesn't belong. I have taken photos and videos of damages and people threatening me and my animals. Photos are amazingly convincing evidence. Also do file a police report, when your property has been damaged by vandalism, it is good to have a legal record of it. It is against the law to damage or vandalize property or trespass, therefore it is a police matter.
It is a tough position to be in. But cutting your trees or brush and making trails on your property are all illegal actions and they are a matter for the police. When you call them, you will want to make sure you are calm and behave reasonable, but also be insistent that they take action, at least come out and look at the damage. It is just plain good to have some sort of proof that it happened and filing a police report gives you a legal foot to stand on.
If you do need to replace your sign, your insurance may even cover the cost.
A single wire fence around your property may also deter some would be trespassers along with the no tresspassing signs.

Another way to deter damage and trespassing is to make friends with your neighbors as best as you can. The ones that get to know you are less likely to tresspass and/or vandalize your property and also might look out for you and prevent others from doing so.

Good luck!

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Department of Natural Resources. The game wardens will help you if you contact them.
We had someone move a deer stand into one of our fields. They even drove spikes into the tree so they could climb it. Got a No Treaspassing sign and put it right under it. Made a phone call. It was gone the next day. Don't know who it belonged to and don't care. They didn't have permission to be there.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
coopy said:
Department of Natural Resources. The game wardens will help you if you contact them.
We had someone move a deer stand into one of our fields. They even drove spikes into the tree so they could climb it. Got a No Treaspassing sign and put it right under it. Made a phone call. It was gone the next day. Don't know who it belonged to and don't care. They didn't have permission to be there.
Know what woulda been funny? If you'd moved it. LOL

Cassandra

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
coopy said:
Know what woulda been funny? If you'd moved it. LOL

Cassandra
LOL. We used to do a good business in treestands. We'd find one on our property and take it down. Some years we'd find 4+. Always held on to them for a while, just to see if anyone would inquire about them. (Oh uh hi, I put a treestand up and your posted land, but you took it down and I was wondering if I could have that back?-------it happened once). Next year we would use or sell off extra treestands.

I was deer hunting once on my grandpa's land, and saw some guys in blaze strolling through. I aimed well above them and shot off a shotgun shell. Started swearing and cursing up a blue streak and asking if I was crazy. I asked them if they were crazy hunting on a posted woods when the owners were on it. They never came back.

I would seriously advise against a wire accross atv/dirt bike tracks. While it would certainly work, I doubt anyone wants to have a decapitated teen on their consciences. Boards with nails, cool....wires, not so cool.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The thing is, a lot of people who have lived there since forever are probably USED to using your property. It may well have been perfectly fine with the previous owner. Even if it wasn't, it may fall within the realm of 'local customs' -- you're not using the woodlot, so they can, as long as they're not poaching your firewood. Add to that the folks who moved out from the city who have not grasped the concept of 'other peoples' private property' in the first place, and you get what happens in rural areas all over the place.

Stringing up wires is just askin' for a manslaughter charge, or worse. So is firing off rounds over peoples' heads if you don't have clear sight of where they're gonna come down.

To some extent you have to live with it, IMO. Meeting people with a camera and cellphone, especially if you have a shotgun with you (IF you know how to use guns - it's not something to use just as a stage prop) can be pretty effective, although may have some repercussions in nuisance damage later on. Don't put up farm signs or fancy mailboxes that are too expensive to want to replace. Budget for new 'no trespassing' signs every year. Sometimes if there is a particular place where they more or less have to cross into your property because of other natural features, a well-placed large tree felled across it will discourage the less ambitious types.

By all means, keep the horses near the barn during deer season, esp. opening weekend. Possibly also with blaze-orange sheets on them (you can buy them specifically for this purpose).

I've known several people in the past who each independantly hit on a really good solution for the poaching and tresspassing problem. Find someone who is well-respected locally, with some personal power in the local social system, and give them (exclusive!) rights to hunt on your land ;) Of course it helps if they're a sensible hunter and not some cow-shooting wahoo :p

Good luck,

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Next time they come over take a shotgun and just shoot it where you know you won't hit any thing or anyone. it scares people.