Decision time....what to use to build fence around garden??

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're going next Saturday to pick up all necessary materials and finally put up a fence around our garden. We want something sturdy, that will last a long time. It looks like we'll be fencing a 30x40ft area. I need ideas and input from ya'll about what you've used/seen/dreamed about to make a nice garden fence.

My requirements: It needs to be at least 4 feet high and have small enough openings to make it harder for the rabbits to get it!!

My initial thought was to sink 4x4 posts into the ground then just use a roll of wire fencing but that stuff bends so easily and doesn't, IMO, hold up all that well.

Suggestions???

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You could do posts with cattle panels rather than wire fencing. Then run chicken wire along the bottom if the squares are too big. It'd be a nice sturdy fence and will keep rabbits out too.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In our temp. garden we had stakes with chicken wire. When designing our future garden based on what we learned; we decided on 4" 'peeler' posts with 'no-climb' wire fencing with chicken wire on the inside. The no climb will also make for study trellis for climbing plants.

Monica

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Plastic fencing is cheaper,but wire will last longer. I have used plastic black net fencing attached to bamboo poles with zip ties.Doing well going into the third year.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the cattle panel idea but after much thought realize we need something a little taller to ward off deer as well. I think we've decided go with 4x4 posts(instead of metal t-posts) and a 6ft tall wire deer fencing. I will make sure to use a come-along or something of the kind to stretch the fence tight. That's my biggest beef with wire fencing is the sagging and it not being straight. Hubby is insisting on a top rail for aesthetics but I'll let him figure that out.

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used railroad ties for posts and horse fence. Horse fence has 2" by 4" squares and will keep pretty much anything in or out. Since I wanted to keep the deer out, I went six feet tall. I haven't had any deer or rabbits in the garden but woodchucks will dig under.

Latest posts