Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Can I cheat and plonk the coop over the compost heap? So far they didn't show much interest in it, but it seems to be breaking down well, in spite of our ridiculously cold winter.
sumi, I compost right under my roost all year long. Makes for a lot less work and handling of bedding. Put it in raw, take it out cooked and ready to apply on the garden.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got a link to the video?

I just keep piling what ever I can get. Straw, pine shavings, grass clippings. I pulled it all out a free months ago and composted it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My coop is a cinder block building with a cement floor.

Great! You don't have to worry about any damage. Though you may find it harder to open up more areas of ventilation along the floor and such with a solid structure like that. Adjustable ventilation is key for managing this stuff, especially in the winter months...buckled down too tight and the humidity levels rise and cause problems.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great! You don't have to worry about any damage. Though you may find it harder to open up more areas of ventilation along the floor and such with a solid structure like that. Adjustable ventilation is key for managing this stuff, especially in the winter months...buckled down too tight and the humidity levels rise and cause problems.

That's exactly my problem and the reason I went to sawdust, barn lime and turning occasionally.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This vid was shot in January, it was in the teens outside and we had just finished up with teens below zero the week before. This is well broken down due to that leaky coop I had...my DL I have now is WAY behind and is still piled deep and the chickens don't or can't move it much due to the unbroken materials. Needs more water!!!

That looks awesome! Mine is only a few months old and just looks like what I threw in there and chicken poop. But I don't turn it or anything. I just pile up more when it stinks......maybe I'm lazy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wowza...you ain't akiddin' about no place to add ventilation. That place is a box! Was it there when you came there? Maybe you could add a screen door for the coop and add some big ventilation in that manner. I bet that thing is pretty stuffy in the summer months.

That wooded section along the top of the walls could be opened up and screened/fenced in for more air flow as well. The more you have the healthier the coop. Don't worry about what folks say about drafts...better a drafty coop than one with stale air any ol' day.

That framed hole in the wall....is that the pop door into a run or a hole into the nesting area?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wowza...you ain't akiddin' about no place to add ventilation. That place is a box! Was it there when you came there? Maybe you could add a screen door for the coop and add some big ventilation in that manner. I bet that thing is pretty stuffy in the summer months.

That wooded section along the top of the walls could be opened up and screened/fenced in for more air flow as well. The more you have the healthier the coop. Don't worry about what folks say about drafts...better a drafty coop than one with stale air any ol' day.

That framed hole in the wall....is that the pop door into a run or a hole into the nesting area?

The framed hole leads to the yard or run i guess you would call it. And yes the cinder block building had a caved in roof that I rebuilt out of lumber from my sawmill. Their is also a screened window behind the fan and the nest boxes also open to the outside. During the summer I run the fan and open a few nest box doors so there's good air flow through the coop. the vid was taken a few weeks ago when it was about 12 degrees outside so I have it closed up except for the framed door to the run.

Last edited: