deer hunters...this one's for you

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We received the following last month in an e-mail from Al Kish and knew we had to pass it along to our readers. Enjoy this informative article.

Venison vs. Beef: The Controversy Ends from the U.S. Venison Council

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste. Others insist venison's flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged over rocks and logs, through mud and dust back to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung from a tree branch in the sun for a day.

Secondly, it was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for awhile. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time they were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair, and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

In the final step, the meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three taste-test panel volunteers who were intoxicated and blindfolded. Every member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no difference between the taste of beef and venison.

:lol:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
And in comparison a cleanly shot deer was meticulously cared for and processed. Tasters declared it was the best meat they had ever eaten.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd take deer over beef any day. Usually I end up being the one to process it though. Dh thinks his job ends with skinning.

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I always take care of my venison as carefully as possible. There is some of the things happening that are described in the OP, lol. I do prefer the taste of deer and elk to beef. If you have a clean kill field dress properly and age the meat before processing it will be hands down better than beef IMO. Now if you get some old buck that is in the middle of the rut, you might be better off making jerky and sausage. Those rutty old bucks can be pretty skanky IMHO.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
yeah, I just thought that was funny cause invariably something on that list of things has happened to deer hunters before.....my dog licked the last carcass while I was processing it. :rolleyes:

We try to be as clean as possible....but I have seen some things that would make your head spin over the years. :lol: