Dehydrating less than fresh veggies and fruit.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got my very first dehydrator and yesterday I dehydrated some apples that were not so fresh... I cut out the brown spots, sliced and dryed. They turned out great. Now I have some watermelon and some cantelope (that has been in the fridge a while) going and am just curious if using less than fresh fruit will change the shelf life of the dryed fruit? Is there more of a chance of contamination? Is this ok to do?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I personally dehydrate most often when I have fruits and veggies getting ready to turn. I've not found that it lowers the shelf life, but all of my dehydrates go right into the Seal-a-Meal bags. I have found that the less than fresh does not rehydrate as nicely as the fresh. I am guessing because the fibers are already broke down some and then broken further by dehydrating. I label them and tend to use them for dry spice mixtures. With fruit, when its less than perfect seems to be the perfect time for fruit leather.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh... Fruit leather, duh!! My unit came with two of those special inserts. Looks like it will be plugged in again tomorrow.

What about fruit leather with a little bit of yogurt "marbeling"? Has anyone ever tryed that?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds tasty! I have yet to make dehydrated yogurt, although the pamplet that came with my excalibur has recipes. Got 2 quart jars of fruit leather though, yum yum.

Dried, crushed apples make a great oatmeal additive.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Just got a dehydrator with extra trays at a yard sale for $10 last weekend. Can't wait to start using it! DH is on another SS type forum where they dehydrate EVERYTHING! Veggies, meat, fruit, you name it....they dehydrate more than canning...crazy! lol

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well canning in jars with liquid weighs a lot. Drying is much more space efficient. I ferment or dry. I don't can. Too much of a pain.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I see your point! I wasn't downing it, just saying that was what a majority of folks did on this other place. I'm willing to try anything once! lol

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dont forget jerky! I got my dehydrator last fall and have done deer and beef. AWSOME! You can use recipes on the net or I have also used some marinades from Cabelas that were also good.