Dehydrating tips and recipes

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow...so many things! I don't have the new and improved 😁 but, love what I've done with my cheapo. 🤣. Figs, apples, pears, green peppers, onions, tomatoes.... I was so impressed with tomatoes that I planted 18 plum type to be able to can sauce and dry some! I ate those rascals for a snack. 😊. You will enjoy this purchase.

It's another way to preserve food.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fruit leathers are good. Much better than things they pass off as it in the store that are mostly corn syrup.

If you do plums, don't forget to pop the halves inside out so they dry properly. We always did the same for apricots.

Do not dry seeded grapes. They come out uncomfortably crunchy. Mom only made the mistake one year with the wrong grapes. She picked from the wrong row at Great Aunt's small vineyard.

Herbs dry fast and better in a dehydrator unless you're in a hot, dry climate.

Simpleterrier

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok sounds great. How do u do tomatoes times and temps and prepping?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
kinda hard to give hard and fast times- a lot depends on how juicy the tomatoes are (ie beefsteak vs roma) and humidity. It's been a while since I did tomatoes in the dehydrator, but I remember them coming out kind of crunchy.

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I can tomatos I take the skin off then dehydrated the skin . I tried this because I thought it was wasteful tossing the skin away..I had nothing to lose. To my surprise the dehydrated tomatoe skins were so yummy. Didn't last long my kids ate them up fast. I didn't add no seasoning

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When I can tomatos I take the skin off then dehydrated the skin . I tried this because I thought it was wasteful tossing the skin away..I had nothing to lose. To my surprise the dehydrated tomatoe skins were so yummy. Didn't last long my kids ate them up fast. I didn't add no seasoning
I dehydrate tomato skin too. I powder it and use in sauces for extra nutrition.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found out that tomato leaves are not as toxic as I've been led to believe. In moderation, they actually have a beneficial effect on the cardio system. I've been told that adding a leaf or two to pasta sauce intensifies the tomato flavor.
... potato leaves are a whole different story though....