Dehydrating

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got more potatoes today. My son loves potato skins so I'm trying to figure out how to dehydrate potato slices and get them back in shape to "fool him" into liking them like that (plus cheese, butter, bacon and sour cream).

Did you peel your taters first?

Will try the blanching.

Bought a couple cukes too (because I'm tired of waiting for mine to produce). Will experiment with them in next few days too. Wonder if I should peel them first?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have one of the white round Harvest Maid ones, but it is so old that the plastic trays are cracking apart (I haven't looked online for replacements yet). I splurged last month and bought myself an Excalibur- but just the 4 tray one. So far I have dehydrated grated potatoes (that almost immediately got eaten for hash browns- you know, just to be sure it worked ;) ), and whole raspberries. Those are great! I went picking for blueberries for jam and the raspberries looked so delicious that I picked them instead. I don't like the seeds in raspberries, but it is one of my SO's favorites, so I dried them. They did take almost forever, but it was also pretty humid here when I was drying them. They came out really well. Next up is blueberries for adding to cereal. Maybe next week when I have time for jam.

I like this website- it must have been someone here who posted it originally, but they have how-to dry just about anything.
http://dehydrate2store.com/