Del Monte recalls canned corn in 25 states, 12 nations, due to botulism risk

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love gardening. Every season, I start with a new slate. Lots of experimenting. What would happen if... And, the failures and mistakes I had with the last season get swept off the slate.

Every year, you will build on the experience of the previous seasons. But, you gotta remember: none of us have any control of the weather. You could do everything text book perfect, and still have a crop failure due to insect, disease or weather.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dont can my corn. I blanch it then put it in vacuum sealed bags and freeze it. I hardly buy any veggies in the store.

We both can and freeze raw (not blanched) on the husk in vacuum sealed bags also. I like it best frozen on the husk myself. It's so easy to put up and then easy to shuck and de-silk after it's been frozen. But this year we canned because we still have some frozen.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Corn, as with all low acid foods must be pressure canned. I much prefer the texture and flavor of frozen corn, though I've never pressure canned it. As for green beans, I hated canned beans when I was a kid growing up, but since pressure canning my own beans, I really don't care for frozen beans. I absolutely love my canned beans (Fortex) and go into bean withdrawal when I use up the last jar. I try to ration them so I still have a jar or two left when the new crop is coming on.

Dilly beans are a great way to preserve your beans without taking up freezer space or taking the time to pressure can them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I heard it was hard to can corn because of the high acid? Am I wrong? I have a Ball canning guide but never tried to can it. We always did the blanching and freezer bags.

I like freezing in the husk the best - easy smeazy and fresh garden corn on the cob is awesome during winter months.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I may do that next year. I know if other people who do that.

A lot depends... if the weather permits me to BT the ears to lessen or eliminate tip worms. If it's rainy BT is less effective so generally speaking, if I get tip worms, I'll cut the kernels off the cob and can them. But if I have a good stand of corn with hardly any tip worms. I'll go ahead and pick the ears, remove the bad outer leaves and vacumn seal, date them and toss in the freezer. Nothing like opening up a frozen ear to find a worm or two :sick