DelMarVa, anyone?

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maryland here. :frow Any neighbors?

We're about an hour outside of Washington, D.C. Used to be pretty rural around here, though that has changed quite a bit over the last several years. But we're doing our best to do things here on our little farm that will move us toward a more self-sufficient way of living, even if the farms around us are fast becoming subdivisions!

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband and I looked at property in DelMarVa but hit a lay off and it has put us on hold. How are the jobs? Can you make a living from the farm? You are only an hour from DC? I am in NJ, next to the Pine Barrons.
lin

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Land is so expensive right now, I think it would be hard for someone trying to relocate to set up "shop" and make much money on any type of farming. Though naturally/organically grown produce and meat are becoming more popular, and there is a nice movement to buy local happening (with lots of support and advertising for local farms/CSAs, etc.). We don't (and probably couldn't, definitely not with our current ste up) make a living from the farm--both my husband and I have jobs off of the farm. The area we are in is a big Navy area, so there are a lot of jobs with contractors to the government. That's where all of the jobs are, really, unless you commute to D.C. (been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :cool: Never doing it again, either!)

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ha! ... got the t-shirt...ha!
My dad worked for RCA in radar systems. Too much stress, he didn't died before he could get SS.
I won't be moving for a while, esp with the upset in the economy that is now going on. Gotta wait it out.
I hear there are a lot of chicken farmers in delmarva. Esp delaware, and the cost of land is nothing compared to jersey.
I had seen a few ads for farms for sale and then someone who lives there told me they were chicken farms. Huge chicken farms. I don't think I would enjoy having so many chickens that they could not roam. I think they are hysterical when I watch them at home.
lin

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Maryland here also, land still expensive in the area.

Trying to form a [e]co-housing community with some friends on a 22 acre plot we found. We'd be able to maintain our jobs but have more freedom to grow things through community gardens, home gardens, and able to start from scratch building efficient housing.

we'll see if it works out.

in the meantime I found this site and there is some good info on here.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to Saint Mary's College out on the peninsula way back when...it's really beautiful.

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
still beautiful - but much more developed now - the area has grown a lot over the last 10 years and actually has a decent selection of restaurants and shopping locations. farming co-ops also on the rise.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Another bump from an Baltimorian on the eastern side where it is green! We're just outside of the beltway by a few miles, and its quite nice here.
Love the site, can't wait to do more learning!