Dementia, right? :o(

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Remember when people used to call fish "brain-food"? It is because of the oils in fish (Omega-3) etc that help the brain. While no amount of some nutrients will stop or prevent dementia it may be able to slow the cognitive failures associated. Dementia can come from a myriad of causes so in a very covert way, try to establish if any of those causes (some of which are reversible) exist.
Hope this helps...
//BT//
Trim sends

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BB, How old is your FIL? Of course, Alz can affect folks long before we think they are old enough for "old age forgetfulness." I just lost my dad in late March to complications of dementia, and it was a heartbreaking decline in a kind and intelligent man. Unfortunately, he probably had it for years and we didn't realize. My mom was a great enabler for him, and covered very well for years--possibly as long as 15 years. Maybe if we had known a lot earlier, something else could have been done, but that's all history now. You may find that your FIL covers his own errors not wanting anyone to know the extent of his dementia. Dad got very good at argumentative banter, teasing, pretending to understand what was going on, changing the subject, etc. His being hard-of-hearing complicated things a lot when we were trying to explain something to him. Ah well, it's over now. He was going on 92 when he died, and he had a good life. Good luck with your FIL. :hugs

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I think he is around 70? And yes, I am sure MIL covers up the gaps.