Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I got this from that the link

The proposed agricultural revisions would impact
only hired farm workers and in no way compromise the statutory child
labor parental exemption involving children working on farms owned or
operated by their parents.

hmmm....I also think states make their own labor laws for what age kids can legally work as an employee, don't they????
Well, I guess I can never take a day off again. Its the Amish kids down the road who do my chores then, and not one of them is over 12. I have bulls, mean geese, grumpy horses, and a 600 lb boar all running around along with assorted other critters. Hope those inspectors enjoy their tour on my place, because I won't be able to have the kids lock them up and I have a bum leg that day. I also live in Canada so I guess I am safe for a few more years yet.

Its ridiculous that they take yet another productive job away from kids at an age when they need to learn responsibility and independence. It rates right up there with kids having to have a licence to run a lemonade stand which should be a constitutional right for kids under 12.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm torn on this one. We farm, so I'm glad my kids can still help. Yet, I didn't always farm and still remember seeing with new eyes the incredible number of dangers on a farm with large animals and machinery.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the-galsthe-gals
me&thegals said:
I'm torn on this one. We farm, so I'm glad my kids can still help. Yet, I didn't always farm and still remember seeing with new eyes the incredible number of dangers on a farm with large animals and machinery.
Understood. I think most of us are assuming a level of common sense being used when putting kids to work. If there is no common sense, then there isn't any law that will protect anyone regardless of age. There are some over 30 kids that shouldn't be playing with large animals or operating machinery either. I know a 4 yr. old who competes in tractor pulls and really knows his business. Should he be stopped? No. He sets a better example then some of the big boys. Should he be carefully supervised? Yes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
again, isn't it talking about people on PAYROLL, employees of a farm? it isn't just younger adult farm help.

I don't see many farms putting 15 yr olds on payroll. real payroll. and it exempts family farms so??

am I missing something on this? :idunno

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
If it's taking the 15-year's SSN and creating a 1099 at the end of the year, then yes, they are on the payroll.

Heck, I did it that way for the three farmers I worked for when I was 15 decades ago.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is the opposite of what our economy needs. We need people to be able to retire so that young people can get some experience. Not that I think we could come with a regulation that would have that effect. Silliness.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In addition, the Department proposes to revise the exemptions which
permit the employment of 14- and 15-year-olds to perform certain
agricultural tasks that would otherwise be prohibited to that age group
after they have successfully completed certain specified training.

the proposal would dictate the following to farmers and ranchers- and basically would mean no young person who is not your son or daughter working on your personal farm or ranch could work in these areas---when you read this it BASICALLY says it is limiting some dangerous activities that a young employed kid can work. In a small way I don't see that as harmful. Might save a life??

I am on the fence like Gals said.

Farming is very dangerous. Large animals are extremely dangerous along with some rough machinery.
Anyone too young can get hurt very easily. Of course we all take precautions etc. in teaching our kids. And it says your son/daughter can take certified training for certain activities.

again it is the words 'employment' that catch my eye. if you hire a 'young kid' on real payroll...then yea you must comply with rules.

and I said again and again, rules sure are getting tougher. but I don't see this as stopping your kid from helping on your farm or helping on grandpas farm. as long as he is not on payroll.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
In addition, the Department proposes to revise the exemptions which
permit the employment of 14- and 15-year-olds to perform certain
agricultural tasks that would otherwise be prohibited to that age group
after they have successfully completed certain specified training.

the proposal would dictate the following to farmers and ranchers- and basically would mean no young person who is not your son or daughter working on your personal farm or ranch could work in these areas---when you read this it BASICALLY says it is limiting some dangerous activities that a young employed kid can work. In a small way I don't see that as harmful. Might save a life??

I am on the fence like Gals said.

Farming is very dangerous. Large animals are extremely dangerous along with some rough machinery.
Anyone too young can get hurt very easily. Of course we all take precautions etc. in teaching our kids. And it says your son/daughter can take certified training for certain activities.

again it is the words 'employment' that catch my eye. if you hire a 'young kid' on real payroll...then yea you must comply with rules.

and I said again and again, rules sure are getting tougher. but I don't see this as stopping your kid from helping on your farm or helping on grandpas farm. as long as he is not on payroll.
Please FC, do not take this as me arguing with you.

Around here, the local farmers use 15-16 year olds all the time, so they will be impacted, definitely.

Farming is dangerous, I know that, I've seen messy accidents - more often than not, it's the old geezer who should know better. I would be interested in seeing the actual statistics backing up the need for this. How many kids get hurt crossing the street in the city every day? Do we outlaw kids walking outside their house?

I could be convinced otherwise, but I'm leaning against this as of now.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I guess I'm leaning towards being okay with this, then. A kid who hasn't grown up on the farm may not be very aware to the dangers. OTOH, a kid growing up on a farm can become immune to those very dangers.

I can probably count 5 people with serious farm injuries--FIL lost his ring finger, coworker lost her leg, another friend/acquaintance, had her scalp torn off when hair got caughter in baler, DH broke arm falling off hay wagon, and many, many more I've heard of among distant acquaintances and community members.

Farming and construction are seriously dangerous jobs, and I believe kids aren't themselves developed emotionally/psychologically enough to be able to accept that danger upon themselves. I guess I'd need to see some stats to decide if this is wise or an over-reaction.