Dervaes's Plagiarism! Yikes!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
http://www.myearthgarden.com/2011/03/how-the-dervaes-family-stole-my-victory-garden/

I was contacted this morning by a commenter to my article Bring Back Victory Gardens [see also: Exhibit A] originally posted to this site in April of 2008 and updated on January 25, 2011. The commenter informed me that parts of this article had been lifted verbatim and were being used by the Dervaes Family on their website. The commenter further provided me with a link to the page.

NOTE: You can see the original comments on that piece were left in May of 2008 if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

That information led me to visit Copyscape, a website that searches for plagiarism on the Internet. EXHIBIT B is a screen capture that shows what was revealed in that search. As you will see there are 5 pages that have directly copied my content. The first is the HubPages site that I mentioned earlier and is my property. The other four are penned/stolen by a member of the Dervaes Family.

According to this link from the Internet Archive [see also: EXHIBIT C] my original article was posted online at some point in time prior to June 7, 2008 and was also screen capped by the Archive on July 23rd and August 3rd of that same year, both prior to this posting [see also: EXHIBIT D]made by Anais Dervaes on August 11, 2008, a full three months after the first Internet Archive capture. That blog post entitled FUTURE OF URBAN AGRICULTURE (in all caps) directly matches the name of the Facebook page from EXHIBIT B that is no longer available, leading me to believe that it was likely the Dervaes Family and more specifically Anais Dervaes who set up that Facebook page and added the stolen content there as well before taking the page down.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
http://www.myearthgarden.com/2011/03/how-the-dervaes-family-stole-my-victory-garden/

I was contacted this morning by a commenter to my article Bring Back Victory Gardens [see also: Exhibit A] originally posted to this site in April of 2008 and updated on January 25, 2011. The commenter informed me that parts of this article had been lifted verbatim and were being used by the Dervaes Family on their website. The commenter further provided me with a link to the page.

NOTE: You can see the original comments on that piece were left in May of 2008 if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

That information led me to visit Copyscape, a website that searches for plagiarism on the Internet. EXHIBIT B is a screen capture that shows what was revealed in that search. As you will see there are 5 pages that have directly copied my content. The first is the HubPages site that I mentioned earlier and is my property. The other four are penned/stolen by a member of the Dervaes Family.

According to this link from the Internet Archive [see also: EXHIBIT C] my original article was posted online at some point in time prior to June 7, 2008 and was also screen capped by the Archive on July 23rd and August 3rd of that same year, both prior to this posting [see also: EXHIBIT D]made by Anais Dervaes on August 11, 2008, a full three months after the first Internet Archive capture. That blog post entitled FUTURE OF URBAN AGRICULTURE (in all caps) directly matches the name of the Facebook page from EXHIBIT B that is no longer available, leading me to believe that it was likely the Dervaes Family and more specifically Anais Dervaes who set up that Facebook page and added the stolen content there as well before taking the page down.
Ooooh Epic Fail!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
No kidding! This may well be the final straw for them.
Very sad.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:ep

I love the internet (most times!). A bunch of peeps looking out for those who are truthful.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That is why you back principles and ideas and not just people. Having a good idea doesn't mean you will always have good ideas.

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am kinda new around here. The people mentioned in this and the web site I visited reading are the Dervaes the family that were mentioned on many tv shows for being "self sufficient" and I think they live in CA. ??? - I honestly do not know where all of the back lash on these matters stem from, I was only curious if they are the people whom I have seen on different things on tv.

Thanks for any information.-

Angie- aka smurfette :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
smurfette79 said:
I am kinda new around here. The people mentioned in this and the web site I visited reading are the Dervaes the family that were mentioned on many tv shows for being "self sufficient" and I think they live in CA. ??? - I honestly do not know where all of the back lash on these matters stem from, I was only curious if they are the people whom I have seen on different things on tv.

Thanks for any information.-

Angie- aka smurfette :)
This might explain it for ya: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8369

These are the people who are going after others for using the term "urban homestead", claiming they coined the term.

That would be like Mother Earth News suing anyone who uses the term "mother earth"......or "father time!"