Design a 30-day SS challenge

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is January and many of you are in VERY cold temperatures right now, and even in summer, this might not apply to you.

No air conditioning! Here in Texas, the heat can reach triple digits and the humidity is sometimes so thick you can almost cut it with a knife. LOL The AC runs and gives us precious relief. Today's homes are built with electronic controls-right from your smart phone! Many new homes have no windows facing the street, for privacy or safety? Homes don't have air flow considerations like they used to.

In east Texas, in the 1800's houses were built with a "dog run" down the middle with rooms on either side, often with a covered porch front and sometimes on the back. The dog run usually caught a breeze, which was a welcome relief from the heat. People often put their mattress on the porch to sleep at night. The kitchen and maybe a sitting room was on one side of the dog run, bedrooms on the other side.

We can't rebuild our homes, but what if your AC broke? What if it took a couple of days for parts or for a tech to even get to you? Or what if a hurricane or storm knocked out power?

My Daddy's mother, my Grandma, taught me this, Sprinkle the bedsheets with water and turn on a fan. The evaporating water makes a cooling effect that will even have you reaching for a cover. Or, hang a damp towel or bedsheet over a window, the breeze blowing in will be cooler.

Picture from the internet.

View attachment 18180

last year the AC was out for several weeks and it wasn't fun, but we survived. Mom is more affected by the heat and humidity than i am. i have a small fan that helps and cool showers if it gets to be too much. the biggest plus for me is that the hotter it is the easier it is for me to lose any extra weight but if you have the AC on too much then i won't lose any weight at all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Circling back to this--I am going to make this my 2022 resolutions list as I feel it is a big lift for 30 days. I am going to start chopping away at this list. This week I am inventorying food/water and going to make an appt with a lawyer for will planning.
Would you please start a thread and comment as you go through the challenge. How you change it, what works, what activities you picked, etc? I would love to see all the different ways the challenge prompts can be applied. I need to start one too. I'm a little overwhelmed but I hope I can start in the next couple weeks.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
our state doesn't make it too easy to get a DNR (Do Not Revive) order. so far i think it needs a doctor's writ, but what if you don't want to see a doctor? *grump* i'll have to look into it more and push things along somehow.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i wish we were closer.
Thanks for the thought, I appreciate it. Taking a pickup and back seat load tomorrow. Neighbor going with me to help jack up and block a portable building so I can empty another portable building that is staying with the farm.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Medical alert seat belt covers are awesome. I have the kind with a pocket and keep my pertinent medical info in it. Special considerations for anesthesia, medications, etc. Also one on my dog's seat belt with vet clinic, boarding kennels, etc.
I didn't know there was such a thing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I added a few more (in first post). I'm surprised how unconventional this is turning out to be. Good? Not so good?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hospital BoB (bug-out bag). Not what you're thinking! Many people think of a survivalist's bug out bag that would allow them to travel and survive in a wilderness. Not that. Everyone needs an urban BoB. What happens if you, a family member or friend has a medical emergency? Do you really want to leave someone on their deathbed because you forgot to pack essentials to take care of yourself? Of course not! So grab a backpack, put a change of clothes, travel toiletries or baby wipes, your medications, and important papers like your advance directive, health insurance, and any important medical information. If you are on a special diet, consider adding a day's worth of food.
I have some experience with this...:(

Don't forget things like your phone charger, any meds you might need, dollar bills and/or change for the vending machines. Sure - they all are supposed to take credit cards but the 11 days DH was hospitalized a couple months ago - not a single vending machine would take a CC. Or bring your own snacks. I always make sure to wear clothes with lots of pockets.

I was allowed to stay with DH so I brought my own toiletries. Things like chapstick, slippers, and even your own pillow can make things much more comfortable. If you take a particular sweetener in your coffee and it doesn't come in a pink package - bring your own.

DH has an insulin pump and he needed new transmitters and extra insulin and all the "stuff" that goes along with it. He sleeps with a cpap machine and it needs distilled water. He also NEEEEEEDS his own personal fan. A hospital stay for us is like moving. No bueno!

Latest posts