Determining what power one item uses....

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our energy use is really high. We are starting to suspect after a (sort of) audit that the culprit is our water pump!

Our well IS deep (300+). Any thoughts on how to determine exactly how much energy the pump is using?

How about ideas of how to create a solar panel system just to power the pump??

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly the simplest and best thing would probably be to call the manufacturer (or the well company that installed it, if it hasn't been too long since you dealt with them).

Be aware that motorized items draw a greater load when starting up than when running, and your system (and wiring :p) need to be sized to that startup load not just the running load.

Conventional well pumps are actually fairly expensive to put on solar. Alas. Do a bunch of googling and reading on the topic, becaquse there are a variety of options and alternative approaches.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On Our own said:
Our energy use is really high. We are starting to suspect after a (sort of) audit that the culprit is our water pump!

Our well IS deep (300+). Any thoughts on how to determine exactly how much energy the pump is using?

How about ideas of how to create a solar panel system just to power the pump??
Here is some information on your question.
1. A 170 watt solar panel will produce plenty of energy to re-charge batteries. The important part is to have enough batteries and a good charge controller.
2. The batteries will need about 250 -300 AMP hour rating and probably need about 8 of them. (Two sets of four 6v batteries will give you 450 AMP hours)
3. You need a good inverter that will exceed the number of watts you have to use. A 2500 watt inverter will produce all the power you would possibly need to power your pump for that well. (It will power a 110 volt welder cause I have one)
4. So, if you do this you will get the following answer:
Using Ohm's Law Watts = volts x AMPs
Watts = 24 volts x 450 AMP
10800 watts = 24 volts x 450 AMP

So now you go out and find a Watts-up meter and measure how many watts your pump needs. I'm guessing you'll have enough now that you know how to calculate the requirements.

Best of Luck :thumbsup
Trim sends

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't know where it came from, but we have a "Kill-a Watt" meter. You plug it in and then plug in ANYTHING and it tells you how much power it uses. Detects phantom electricity use too. Pretty sweet. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I don't know where it came from, but we have a "Kill-a Watt" meter. You plug it in and then plug in ANYTHING and it tells you how much power it uses. Detects phantom electricity use too. Pretty sweet. :)
But doesn't help for hardwired items like a furnace or well pump ;) Only for things with a plug you can plug into the meter.

Pat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
tortoise said:
But doesn't help for hardwired items like a furnace or well pump ;) Only for things with a plug you can plug into the meter.

Pat
Some pumps are plug-ins, I know ours is. Our electric bill is about 2x what our neighbors is, and this in spite of the fact that we heat w/wood. We're suspecting it's our water pump. My hubby does have one of those meters, and as soon as he can figure out where he put it, he'll be checking our pump!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
A 240 volt pump would be more efficient than a 120 volt setup. My well is 90ft deep and is hardwired to a 240 volt pump.

Liamm_1

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A good solution for reducing usage is by using solar modules coupled with (Enphase) microinverters. You can start with just 1 module and microinverter. For instance, 1 240W module and a microinverter will probably generate over 1KWH per day using a grid tied system. (rough estimate)
Module = ~$400
Microinverter = ~$300
Plus mounting, breaker, wires, conduit, etc.
Add when you want, as many as you want (up to 15 I believe)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was wrong-our pump wasn't a plug in. But, it's also shot, we put in a new pump, and it was defective too! :he Hopefully, we'll have water tonight. I'm getting tired of filling up jugs at the farm or neighbors.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Liamm_1 said:
A good solution for reducing usage is by using solar modules coupled with (Enphase) microinverters. You can start with just 1 module and microinverter. For instance, 1 240W module and a microinverter will probably generate over 1KWH per day using a grid tied system. (rough estimate)
Module = ~$400
Microinverter = ~$300
Plus mounting, breaker, wires, conduit, etc.
Add when you want, as many as you want (up to 15 I believe)
Whereas "Chance favors the prepared mind", it would be interesting to know what latitude one would put up only one solar panel with a microinverter and not put a storage device in place to hold energy when the sun is NOT shining. Up here that is quite a large portion of the day. Where do you suggest doing this?

Latest posts