DH and I want to build a root cellar. We have a high water table ...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a cool idea with the pallets and plastic.

Digging isn't an option here most of the time. It's either to wet, or cement hard. Maybe in late spring next year I could dig out a spot. We don't have a backhoe so it would be hand digging. I'm thinking that going over with the tiller I have then just scooping out the loose dirt and repeating. Hmm, that wouldn't work going down very far because of the nature of using a tiller. Maybe we can rent a backhoe from rentals place.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
That's a cool idea with the pallets and plastic.

Digging isn't an option here most of the time. It's either to wet, or cement hard. Maybe in late spring next year I could dig out a spot. We don't have a backhoe so it would be hand digging. I'm thinking that going over with the tiller I have then just scooping out the loose dirt and repeating. Hmm, that wouldn't work going down very far because of the nature of using a tiller. Maybe we can rent a backhoe from rentals place.
I want to try this method as well. I have rented a Mini Ex from the rental places before and they are cheaper than a backhoe and much smaller so you might give that a try