DH and I want to build our own cabin on piers please send any great

CountryKat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
links of step by step instruction. We are both very handy but this is going to be our first build from the ground up. We are wanting to build it up on concrete piers. We want to be about 4' above the ground. The cabin would be ideally 30' x 30' but we can adjust that. We are in the south so there is not really a concern for the ground freezing. We do however have a high water table. This will not be a log cabin. We want 2x6 outer studs. I know there should be more information but for now that is a pretty good start. Any suggestions are welcomed. We want to build it by ourselves with maybe on a occasion a friend or family member. So we are going to take it verrrry slow.

Thanks and have a great day,
CK

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to have a 150 acre farm in south central Ohio not far from the Ohio River and the folks who bought it built a very nice little house on legs in an remote area where I would have never thought of building. They used lumber from the woods around them and the finished home is beautiful. Not stunning like Hollywood(ish) but very practical and wonderfully homestead looking.

It is 32'x32' on the lower level with a 16'x16' loft (bed room) extending out of the top in the center. The lower level is mostly open and spacious. Their only heat source(s) are a small wood stove up on the loft and a larger one in the great room below. The kitchen is open to the rest of the lower level and very antique looking. The great room is along the back of the home where they have a spectacular view of the river valley. They have a large porch along the back side as well.

I wish I had pictures to show you.