Diabetes

naturelover

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi to everyone

I have diabetes type 2. Can you tell me what sort of plant is good to low a level of sugar in organism? I heard that Blueberry leaf, is used to regulate blood sugar levels

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
There are LOTS and LOTS of things out there that help stabilize sugar levels. One of the biggest ones is staying away from sugar AND carbs that spike your sugar (almost all processed carbs, i.e. breads, oatmeal, pasta, etc. etc. etc...).
There is a lot of good info on www.marksdailyapple.com Mark Sisson wrote The Primal Blueprint, and it works for a lot of people, including diabetics. The search function on the website works very well.
I know of a number of people who have sent their diabetic symptoms into complete remission by managing their diet. It takes work, but is ultimately the way that we should be eating anyway!

Best of luck.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to agree. My doctor ran a test for diabetes since so many in my immediate family have it. He caught mine very early and explained to me what I could do to help reverse it. I was on metformin for several years and had to learn what foods would trigger the blood sugar spikes in me. I don't have any issues anymore.

I still have the bad foods sometimes, but very rarely. I don't eat much processed grains or sugars. I'll use a bit of honey in tea sometimes, but not much. I have to be careful on potato types I eat. The waxy potatoes raise my blood sugar much less than starchy ones. I'm a potato addict so this was the hardest part for me, not eating as much potato. Bread was easier to limit. We only ate whole grain breads even before, and now we watch ingredients in the bread we do buy.

We eat a lot of veggies and meat. Having several different veggies helps get us the carbs we need. I do mix in whole grains in soups and like have whole grains mixed in an occasional side dish. Fruit is a regular desert.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome from Tennessee!! Cinnamon is supposed to help regulate blood sugar.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Garlic and dandelion. Eat the right carbs and the right fats. Limit the starchy ones is the main thing. Drink a lot of water, unless other conditions forbid it. Get a bit of exercise.......can be something fun, like dancing, walking or swimming. \
Those are the herbs I have touched on so far in my (very new) studies, but I'm sure there are more. But hey......all the herbs we commonly use are good for at least something. Spice up your life, by using a lot of wild herbs and other systems will benefit from it. It certainly can only help your DM to have your other systems in good check (thats just what I think.....not claiming to be an expert here).

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you might do well to be checked for gluten intolerance. Like others have said, stay away from starches, bread and grains.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!

And try everything (cinnamon, etc), but take care of yourself! My friend, who was diagnosed last year, refused to follow doc's advice - now she has foot neuropathy (sp?) and can barely walk. Taking care of yourself will give you years and years of running around. :eek:)

janecristy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Azadirecta indica known as Neem plant is useful for diabetes. Its new leaves, fruits, bark etc are used to cure diabetes. Though the taste of leaves is very bitter or unpleasant. Little dose of it must be taken according to doctor, otherwise it might be harmful to your health.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a similar question but on the other side of the spectrum. I have blood sugar that has been borderline low for at least the last 17 years. I recently tried to up my healthy factor and my blood sugar is too far down. Suggestions for balancing that out a bit easier, other than eating every 3 hours. I cut out all my soda, my sugar, cereal, store bought bread ( I still ate white but homemade with unbleached umbromated flour and molassas instead of sugar), juices, and just about anything else processed. I cut my meat consumption way down too. All as advised by doctor. Now I have tingling legs and too tired to walk up stairs, dizzy and falling down.

Obviously I gotta make some adjustments to this all natural diet of mine, probably need to eat more but are the same herbs that are helpful for stabalizing high good for stabalizing low?

Latest posts