Diabetic Pasta Recipe Like Dreamfields?

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe to make pasta like Dreamfields - pasta with a low glycemic index for diabetics and anyone else watching their carbs? Their pasta is terrific, but some of the other ingredients on the label...sulfate. potassium chloride don't sound like anything I want to eat :/

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't have a recipe and am not sure what Dreamfields is like so I probably should not even answer. However if you add a veggie with a low glycemic index and use whole grains it will lower the glycemic index for the whole batch.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just found their label with the ingredient listing and it is basically......garbage. White flour, some chemicals, and some extra fiber added. However, their big claim is that it has the same fiber/GI as whole wheat pasta.....so make your own whole wheat pasta! That makes it simple! I make fresh pasta all the time with freshly ground wheat berries, an egg or two or three, and a bit of whey if I want to boost the nutrition even more by soaking the dough for a few hours or overnight.

If you don't want to make your own, you can buy some good all whole wheat pastas....not as good as homemade, but a good choice if you are in a hurry or want a shape of pasta that you can't make (without a fancy machine.) Make sure the only ingredients are whole wheat flour (the word "enriched" is a buzzword for white flour....they legally ahve to put SOME of the nutrients back in, but not all, and not necessarily in a form that your body can utilize), eggs, salt. Or no eggs. I prefer an egg pasta.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried the Dreamfields pasta a couple of years ago, when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. I found that it raised my blood sugar a LOT more than the whole wheat pasta I usually eat. An added bonus of whole wheat pasta is that it fills you up faster because of the bran, so you don't want more than a reasonable serving.
Has anyone tried using whole ground durum wheat to make pasta? I saw that Azure Standard had durum wheat berries available; I've been using whole red wheat flour for mine.

What I would like to find is bulk sized whole wheat couscous. We really like couscous, but most of it is made without the germ and bran. The few times I've found whole wheat couscous, it's been very expensive and in small amounts.