Diamant Grain Mill

Suzannah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Anyone here have a Diamant Grain Mill? Am considering getting one some day and want to know what experience you've had with one. Like it? Worth it? Thanks in advance.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried it at the Lehman store years ago. That thing was so easy to grind grain with. I've been drooling for one ever since. Only thing that gives me pause is the price.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks awesome. And for 1000 $ it better be! Can you rig up a V-belt drive?

Some philosophy and commentary from the peanut gallery:

Grinding your own grain simply can't be easy AND fast. There's a certain amount of energy that it takes to crack wheat and there's no way around that. If easy or fast are your objectives, grinding your own flour may not be the way to go. In the past I would make a big batch of bread every few weeks and freeze half of it for later use so it didn't go stale. But grinding 12 C of flour takes time and effort. Since then, I've basically cut out most of my bread making (because I don't need the carbs for my level of activity) and haven't ground more than about 2 C at a time. That's more manageable but it still takes a certain amount of self-control to do that instead of breaking into the pre-ground flour. And, unless you're violently opposed to cake, you'll still end up buying some flour anyway.

I suspect that the reason everyone likes these higher-end units is because they feel good and smooth when you crank them. I have the WonderMill Junior which has no flywheel and doesn't feel like quality, despite being perfectly serviceable. Those of you who tried it in the store probably didn't have to grind 2 C flour ASAP for buscuits (timing is everything in the kitchen) without AC. So although it seems great in the store, it's like trying on a pair of shoes or taking a car for a test drive. When you use it exclusively (as we have) for several years, new priorities emerge. (Sounds like marriage, doesn't it?)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bake every weekend. It used to be up to 5 loaves, due to arrangements, but everyone has decided our bread tastes too good and they were gaining weight :lol: so now we are down to 2 plus the sourdough pancakes that get made every Sunday. (I expect we'll get some orders for my husband's cinnamon loaf for the holidays ;) )

We grind the wheat a little each day, rather than trying to grind all of it at once, and we try to have a little extra in case I decide to make biscuits or whatever. Once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

Currently we have the Lehman's brand mill, which works fairly well but doesn't seem like it will have a long life, so we've been looking at the Country Living Mill, which is half the cost of the Diamant and appears to be a sturdy, long lasting tool and relatively easy to grind. It also has the capability to be hooked up to a drive belt for either foot pedal or electric power

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Diamant has a V grove for a belt on the wheel.

I haven't gone out and bought a hand grain mill yet. I've looked at both the Diamant and the Country Living Mill. Eventually I'll get one of them.

Only mill I have is the electric that hooks on my Kitchenaid and I don't use it a lot because I don't have the counter space to keep the mixer in the kitchen. We're in the process of remodeling the back bedroom off the kitchen that I use part of for my pantry. I plan on putting in a counter or something so I can use it as an extension of my tiny kitchen. Going to have the tiny dining table in there as well.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been campaigning for a small but sturdy table that I can bolt my appliances onto so they don't wander around... the mill, the meat grinder, the pasta roller, the apple peeler/slicer.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have my mill on the island in the kitchen. It's sort-of in the way. I think the garage may be a better place for it. Especially if you're going to motorize it. The mill itself is fairly noisy just because of the physics of shattering wheat berries.