DianeS - Listeria spreading, culling the rabbits

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love your random thoughts. Randomness is next to creativeness!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have I mentioned recently that I'm still getting the hang of this homesteading thing? This weekend was the worst. I am cut and bruised and swollen all over, from multiple things. Ready for the list?

First of all is a bunch of scratches on my left arm and stomach. They are from the mother rabbit that gave birth a couple days ago. She didn't want to nurse, so I have been taking her out of her hutch and over to her kits and encouraging her to stay there by feeding her grass and clover. Works well, except she does NOT always want to leave her hutch - and rabbits, while cute and cuddly, also have very strong back legs tipped by very strong and sharp nails... So I have a pair of 10-inch scratches on my arm, and a trio of 4-inch scratches on my stomach. But the kits are fed, and that's what matters, right?

Next is a wrenched back, a small cut on my arm, a deep cut on my leg, and a deep bruise on the same leg. They are from a seat breaking. I was sitting in the yard, supervising the mother rabbit with her kits, when my seat broke and pitched me backwards. I had a semi-soft landing - in the manure pile. Ewwww. Manure on my neck and shirt and arm, bleeding from my leg, and hurting in my neck, shoulder, and upper back. This accident was a bad one. I'm glad my husband was there to help me up, help me get cleaned, and spritz me with antibacterial spray.

Next was a twisted ankle. I mean, really? I'm walking on the SIDEWALK and step off it to avoid a trash can, and step in a hole. Grrrr.

And lastly I go outside this evening to do the evening animal chores, and got attacked by about a hundred mosquitos. OK, maybe not a hundred, but several dozen at least. Mosquitoes don't usually bother me, it's been about 10 years since I even remember having a single mosquito bite. But by the time I get indoors, I have EIGHT huge mosquito bites. The size of bee stings! I hopped in the shower to rinse everything off, and dabbed a baking soda poultice on each bite. That takes the itch away, but only for as long as the baking soda stays on. If my clothing brushes it off, it goes back to itching and needs it again.

So that was my weekend. Punctuated by a phone call to wish my mom a Happy Mother's Day, of course! She was very sympathetic about all my injuries. Mothers can be good about that, can't they?

Tomorrow is a new day. Maybe no new injuries! Anyone have an injury story of their own to make me feel better?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Mine is from a few weeks ago. I wrenched my shoulder driving RU's tractor, and it STILL hurts! Plus, my knee is still stiff from my operation and if I do to much, it hurts! Hope you feel better soon :hugs

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Threw my back out this morning carrying boxes into my car for packing up the office. :he :barnie

It will get better, just hang in there. Kudos for knowing what to do with the bunny, I dont know if I would have been able to do that.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I know, but it'll be worth it. Once I krilled my ankle feeding and limped for a while. But it is worth it. I just finished my tomato plant aches now this fall when I have those gems in the jars all will be right with the world :) :hugs

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh jeez! I hope you're feeling better soon! Here's my incredibly stupid story about spraining my ankle... And, don't think too low of me after this story please! I was having one of my "frisky" moments. I sometimes get a super burst of energy, where the only thing that can get me to feeling better is to literally run laps around the house. I was coming in through the garage, feeling much better, but still having some "frisk" left in me. The boys have this motorized tractor, a pretty big one, that they can drive around. Well, it was blocking the way, so intelligent idiot that I am, I leaped over it... Only I didn't clear it, caught the very tip of my toe on it and came down with all of my weight on my leg while my toe was still caught on it. I did it early September 2011, and the pain from walking on it only stopped in late March. It was bad, and for an incredibly stupid reason to boot. I went to work the next day, hoofing around a 300 something pound woman, and finally after a few hours of that, I had to call work and tell them that the pain was too much, I couldn't handle it anymore. Hit the hospital, walked in and they all were talking about how I must have a high pain tolerance, because it was deep purple and huge. I ended up with some torn ligaments/tendons (not completely through though, thank god) and the scar tissue is why it was messed up for so long. So... At least your injuries weren't just because of stupidity!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
So... At least your injuries weren't just because of stupidity!
Well, THESE injuries weren't. But I can't say the same for all the ones I've ever had. I once took my dog down a playground slide. The leash was attached to her harness, and wrapped around my wrist, and the middle flapped behind us - then caught on the top of the slide when we were halfway down. Yeah, took two surgeries to repair the damage from THAT one!

Glad to know I'm in such good company! I'd hate to be the only injured goose around these parts. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Betta, at least when I tore the ligaments in my ankle, I was a lot younger! I was jumping over bushes they had growing at a shopping center and landed wrong. I was 13 or 14 at the time.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Diane, that's definately along the lines of silly things, lol. I do apologize, but I was laughing a little when I read that you landed in the manure pile, lol. I know, I'm terrible. My whole family is like that... Laugh before even finding out if the person's ok. :/

Jeez Deb, make me feel even more a fool, lol. I still have those "kid moments" in me. I STILL get them, but when the thought of jumping stuff crosses my mind, the ugly purple of my ankle crosses as well, and I definately don't go that far anymore, lol.