Diary animals cows vs. sheeps

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If the cows will have to be confined at any time, like in the winter if your winters get bad, then you will probably have to have that concrete composter
Yeah, probably for 3 months out of the year.

Take a good look at how much they poo and what it is like. That may help you decide. Also just being around the animals to see which ones you like better.
I have been around cows for quite some time. I did like those that my great grand parents had, couse they were quite clean, and today wherever you go, they are just filthy and stinky and just clouds of insects flying around em. I admit, I have been around sheep just from behind the fence. I am not a big strait milk drinker, but a fresh, still worm, milked directly into the mug milk is something even I can live with ;)

Well besides... I just thought of that picture of all those baby lambs going right at me... then me just sticking my hand from under a pile of lambs... it was kinda creepy and cute at the same time :)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sorry for posting a post after a post, but when I clicked edit it started doing all sorts of crazy things... I will merge those posts later.

I was kind of considering what you said about marketing this product. And there it was... there was the answer, cows it is.

Considering the work load on lambing twice a year, and dealing with butchering so many lambs would be kinda tough. Couse selling lambs (up to 6 months) alive, they produce some ridiculously low money, so the only way it would be to butcher and sell, which considering an average of 2,5 lambs per litter(or birthing or whatever) that the breed I wanted, average, would mean 70 minus some losses 55-60 lambs to butcher every so often... which is a lot if you ask me.

Cows on the other hand produce just one calf, and there would be 4 instead of 30 moms to give birth, which would mean less nervous nights, and more time for the TLC for each of them. economically, you get subsidies, for just owning a herd of that breed. you get 1200ZŁ(400$) per cow (with the minimum of 4) it is a 2 year subsidy. but if it changes hands, you can apply for the subsidy, then when a young small cow is born, you can get subsidies for her as well. also the pasture that they would be on, is also donated. 300ZŁ(100$) per hectare which is 2,5 ac. it is about 50% more if you get certified as organic and that one is a annual subsidy.

Marketing the thing, I do have several friends who work in gastronomy, two of them own a pizzeria ( is that the name of the place where they make pizzas?) so mozzarella, using left over milk to tinker around with. and try doing some other cheeses.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Other things to consider:

Sheep are really TRIPLE money makers. They produce lambs - meat market, Wool - fiber market and MILK - for the cheese market. Most sheep milk is made into cheese and a very pricey cheese at that.

Cows produce only one calf as you have mentioned and of course milk to sell.

Sheep are cheaper to feed, requiring less quality in their forage and little or no grain even when milked.

Sheep take up less space. A sheep and her lambs are considered .20 of a grazing unit while a cow and calf are 1 grazing unit.

YES the sheep will be far more labor intensive. Handling more animals at milking time, sheering, lambing etc.

With any new venture there are set up costs involved. This is where I can not help at all. My Great Uncle ran a small commercial dairy herd of Jersey cows for many years, but I never was interested enough in it to ask the right questions and then he died.