Did I mention they stole my mailbox?

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well last week our mail box was stolen as well as my mother's they were the only two on not only our road bothered, but in the entire county. We have a good idea who did it and we know they are just try to get to us ( which is working by the way). The state police are doing the best the can to prove who did it so we can actually get them for something they do for once. Stealing a mail box is a federal crime and I really hope they can catch them and prove it was them because we just keep having problems with them. Anyways at first it made me cry because obviously it is just going to be this childish destructive crap pretty much til I die because now it is their kids that are doing it too, not just them, so even after they die I have to deal with their children caring on the same old crap. Now it really has me pissed, our mail box was not even there three weeks. And I have a right to be proud of what I have, I should not have to worry about so jealous, childish fool destroying every nice thing I have or get. I told the Staties that I hope they do something about it this time because I not only fear for my property but also my animals and my family.

this is what it look like before they stole it, now all that is left is the can :(

629_l_1398aee42ed34e74907114e01f9e8d83.jpg

629_m_b4d2b1ef9c6f45c8b179b0ee45c239a3.jpg

edited to add images

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
So sorry that they stole your mail box.
No one in our area can put up a nice box, we all use the $3 specials. If the kids don't bash them in summer, the snow plows certainly will in winter.
It is amusing to see new people move out here and spend $150 plus for a mailbox to make a snobby statement. (not like yours which is cute and artsy) It is like these boxes have a target painted on them and are the first to go when school lets out for summer!
They soon learn and replace with a small inconspicuous black or gray cheapie.
We all compensate with flowers around the box, which is a bad idea, because as a former postal employee I can tell you we get stung by bees and wasps that are attracted to the flowers when on our deliveries.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs So sorry that you have to deal with crap like that. It was a beautiful mailbox!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your mailbox. It is a problem around here too. The first year we lived here, stolen mailboxes were dumped at the end of our farm drive. We advised the authorities, but nothing came of it.

We don't really have the plow problem Sylvie has, but last winter our mailbox and post was taken out in a driving accident in front of the house.

One of our friends got so tired of losing his mailbox, he made a reenforced concrete stand for it. He built it so that the mailbox is in a concrete enclosure. It isn't pretty, but his wife planted morning glories around it, which help beautify it some. Last winter some one slid off the road into his mailbox - the mailbox is still standing. I understand the car was totaled.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yikes. It would be worth it to set up another attractive one with a camera trained on it with a motion sensor. Then the buggers would go to jail. It would be worth the money to rent the equipment if it is possible. Sheesh.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same things happen around here. :( Nightshade, that is one beautiful mailbox and I can understand your anger and distress.

A few people combat this terrorism with stone and mortar pillars around their mailboxes and I've even seen some welded wonders--of bars over the mailbox that would seriously ring someone's bell if they bothered to hit it with a ballbat! :lol:

I have never figured out the pleasure one would derive from hitting mailboxes, but it must be passed down through the genes, as there is always someone in each generation who suffers from the low mentality it requires to get satisfaction from it. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if you could repeat your beautiful mailbox with concrete reinforcement on the post and base and a few well-placed metal straps screwed securely into the mounting boards. I mean a Ft. Knox mailbox that really requires some work to steal....most thieves are not that enterprising.

Or.....buy the cheapy and compensate for the loss of beauty by planting some very pretty flowers and vines around it. :(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah..cameras. LOTS with those nut bags around.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Before setting up an indestructible concrete post/barrier, check with your postmaster and insurance agent. In some areas you can be held liable for someone experiencing damage or injury from running into your fortified mailbox. My previous community banned anything except a piece of plywood for the snow spray.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That was a cute mailbox!! What is it with teenagers and mailboxes???? Jeeze, enough already!!

Remember the mailbox in your garden idea? You can store your gloves etc in it. Put another darling one in your garden (get that cute milk jug too before it's a goner) and then replace the one on the street with the standard mailbox.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
That was a cute mailbox!! What is it with teenagers and mailboxes???? Jeeze, enough already!!

Remember the mailbox in your garden idea? You can store your gloves etc in it. Put another darling one in your garden (get that cute milk jug too before it's a goner) and then replace the one on the street with the standard mailbox.
Hey that mailbox in the garden to store gloves in is a great idea! I think I might just add one to mine ;) Maybe then I'll know where my pruners are next time I need them...pruners dissappear so fast around here! I think my guys use them as wirecutters or something...
That was a real beautiful mailbox, would be the envy of my neighborhood for sure! Around here it is the same as most, plain old mailboxes so you don't miss them when the plow hits then on the winter.