Diet Cookies?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you've had the idiot tube on even for a short while the last say year or so, you've probably caught that commerical where they ask, "Who's had their hands in the cookie jar", and it's all about these diet cookies that are used as meal supplements. I would be really interested in finding a recipie for something like this that I can use.

I'm over weight. I know it. Alot had to do with not working while taking care of my mother before cancer took her. Then about two months after she passed away, and I started it was starting to settle in that she was gone I'd become very depressed. I didn't do drugs or drink alot of booze. Instead I ate, and ate, and ate....

Now I'm big, even if I was my proper wieght. I'm right at 6' tall. Heavy boned, just like my grandfather was, although he was never fat. I was always a bit husky, with abit of a gut. But as I said, not working combined with severe depression, I went from 250lbs to 355lbs! Because of my situation financail and other wise, I have managed to drop back down to 315lbs. No where's near ideal. But a good start.

There's more to this then just me wanting to loose weight. Back in the early '90's. I bough my mother one of those new fancy electric bread makers. She loved that thing. I was ambivlent. The bread she made was good, if you liked buttered bread with soup, chilli, stew. But it was too light to make a sandwich with. If you tried putting anything more then just butter on it, it'd fall apart in your hand.

In order to make enough money for a planned relocation I'm selling mom's bread maker. But I'm stuck with nearly 50lbs of flour in our chest freezer. Because we also recieved food from local food banks, seems like every bag had three things it them... peantut butter, grape jelly and....oatmeal. I actually like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and it don't bother me eating them nearly daily. But I have no clue what to do with all this oatmeal either. But doing some preliminary googling on meal supplement cookie recipies they do often use oatmeal in the recpies.

My biggest fear is even with what recipes I've seen, they may or may not contain all that's nessary in order to stay healthy.

Yeah, I know I could make just regular plain old oatmeal cookies with the ingredients I've mentioned. Since we also bought our molasses in bulk I can make as much brown sugar as I want. Light or dark.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried to make anything simlar or not?

Thanks,

Jax

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are several good weight management threads here...have you checked them out? If you really want to get healthy, sell the flour with the bread machine and forget cookies. Eat real food, real meals, and forget the meal replacement bars/cookies. They are a gimic designed to make the manufacturer's bank account very obese!

The self-sufficient lifestyle really lends itself to truly healthy living and eating, and can be done on a strict budget. The further my family goes into this lifestyle, the slimmer we get and the healthier we get. And we eat "gourmet" in many ways! Certainly delicious, satisfying foods, and never anything that starts with the words "diet, low-fat, lite, low calorie," etc.

ETA: I hope that sounded the way I meant it to....caring and sympathetic. I'm afraid that in this flat medium it sounded snotty. Please don't take it that way.....

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't checked those threads yet, will do so shortly. No, I took your comments the way you ment them. On further research about cookie diets as a meal replacement, it's as you say a come on. This is basically restricting your calorie intake to way below even what's conicdered healthy.

I do whole heartedly agree with what you're saying. By becomeing self sufficent, you are more then likely growing your own foods and at the very least cooking foods from scratch rather then relying on off the shelf or frozen foods which are loaded with all kinds of unhealthy junk. It would therefore be logical that you would actually slim down and loose weight.

But I still think a meal replacing bar or cookie could be made. Not only for diet purposes, but for those of us that may spend a day fishing or in the field hunting. Going to need something for nurishment that's good as well as health. And not need to bring along 1000lbs of gear in order to prepare.

Kinda have an idea brewing in my head for a recipie, just wouldn't have a way to test for calories, carbs, fat content, ect. hhmmmm

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is called beef jerky! :p No flour or sugar. Bring some cut up veggies for fiber and you are good to go. Some cheese for fat. All things that can go a day without refrigeration and are quick to grab and eat. And truly a complete meal. Yummy, too.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd say... Listen to Free! lol My diet is not ideal (I love my homemade bread!) but it's becoming less and less processed. Anything labeled diet, or low fat, or whatever is probably terrible for you. The good news is that many things that are shunned as bad for you, are not really, so you won't be eating prepackaged cardboard nonsense. ;)