Different & very helpful PALLET-wood instructional vid

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This Youtube video is about breaking down pallets in order to get valuable construction material out of them. This fellow is very methodical and a really practical thinker, and hence good teacher. He's got some great tips.

By the way, this guy is just starting his Youtube channel that is going to be devoted to homesteading and money-saving topics. Seems worth following, or at least checking into, every so often.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll have to check it out when I get more free time.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a cool video for beginners.

I've had a hard time getting enough pallets here. Everyone here collects them to use for building or burning. We have been known to stop because I saw a pallet on the side of the road. The professional building supply down the road puts out all their pallets and broke boards by the road. It all vanishes within a half hour.

Many people here build chicken coops out of them. I've used them for my wood pile since our ground is so wet. There are a couple I have set aside because the wood is very nice and I might use it for something else later.

One of my great grandfathers build his house out of wooden boxes. Same idea as the reuse of pallet wood.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As luck would have it I get lots of the standard shipping pallets here at work. Not as easy to break down but I will have to rethink how to re-purpose more of them. One very large one became the back wall to my chicken coop. It was nice because it was already framed and had the deck. Entire coop was planned around that size.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
before you use them check them for stamps HT mean Heat treated (good ones) MT means chemically treated (very bad)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
before you use them check them for stamps HT mean Heat treated (good ones) MT means chemically treated (very bad)
Thank you, I don't want to use anything that will leach chemicals into my soil or my food.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use old pallet wood for making doors to the greenhouse and garden gates, frames with chicken wire filled in. They aren't too heavy and aren't on the ground, so they don't rot too fast as long as I paint or stain them.

There are also these bee/insect hotels that let the beneficial insects move in right by plants and vegetables, and can be built on pallets.

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/insect-habitats.html

Joel, nice idea to post, how do we get to the video? It seems blacked out.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I checked it. The video is working for me. If you continue to have trouble, maybe send a message to Nifty to ask him why you can't get it to work. :idunno

Mary-AZ

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
nice if you can get a lot of those specialty pallets. However those are rare here while the common shipping pallets are everywhere and one place sends a truckload of them to the landfill almost every week. If you have a sawzall (reciprocating saw) with a wood/metal blade and electricity you can easily and quickly break down any type of pallet by sliding the sawblade between the boards and cutting the nails. I sided my whole 12x24' chicken house with pallet wood, inside and out. Have a lot of other projects planned for them also.

Latest posts