Dijon Mustard

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH tells me he thinks this is much better than Grey Poupon. Oh, and be prepared to have your eyes water a bit from the pungency of the mustard. I understand you can smell the city of Dijon for miles before you ever see it...
DIJON MUSTARD
  • 3/4 cups hot mustard powder
  • 1/4 cup very cold water
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup minced shallots
  • 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
  • 4 whole juniper berries
  • 2 Tablespoons cold fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
Preparation:
In a bowl stir together mustard powder and water to make a paste. In a saucepan combine vinegar, wine, onion, shallots, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and juniper berries and bring mixture to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer mixture until reduced by two thirds. Strain mixture, cover and chill.

Stir the chilled vinegar reduction into the mustard paste. Add the lemon juice, salt, and sugar and stir to combine. Let mixture stand for at least 20 minutes. Transfer the mustard mixture to a saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a sterile jar and seal tightly, and store on a dark, cool shelf for at least a month or up to 6 weeks before using, to allow the flavors to develop.

Mustard will mellow with age. It should be refrigerated once open and will keep for 6 months.

Yield: about 2 cups

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can you replace the wine w/something else?

XtreemLee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've replaced wine in recipes with vinegar or even cut lemon juice, but its a tradeoff and will change the taste somewhat, sometimes for the better, I love vinigar and might use a white wine vinegar...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe a white wine vinegar, although I think it will make it a bit sharper in taste. I suppose you could even try simple white grape juice (unsweetened). The wine mellows things very nicely, though you don't really taste it.