Disability

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Who is on it? What has been your experience? DH's Dr. is pushing for him to get on it, and we are relatively undecided. I hate the thought of relying on this twisted government, and being seen as a leach on society...but Doctors have been pushing him in this direction for 15 YEARS, and until now, it has been almost laughable, but now he's thinking about it more seriously. Why? Well there are no jobs in his field, his condition IS steadily getting worse as he ages, and they keep saying he is one of the ONLY known cases of someone working this long with this particular condition. most have their liscences pulled upon diagnosis. He begged :lol: He does great on his meds, but due to the status of "controlled substance" and the possibility it may no longer be available in a few more years....disability is looking better and better. He CAN'T function without those meds, and no other has been as good for him when they have tried to switch his medication. Disability will allow him to not have to work, and maybe they can find a comparable medicine for him if it has to change. The uncertainty of trying to keep working while doctors want to screw around with his treatment is the main reason for thinking it may be our best option. They can't leave well enough alone. He is disabled, partially, and if they take his meds for any reason, he won't be able to work and will be completely disabled. Too if he gets disability, he will be insured, he isn't at the moment. *sigh*

Please advise!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know what your exact situation is but I can relate because my dh has physical problems that make working very difficult. We decided though as long as he is able to work at all he will.

He needs his meds to work also. I stay home and take care of him, the kids, house, animals, etc. I don't have many marketable skills and have been out of the work force for many years.

I would dread it if I had to go back to school and I could never earn as much as my dh. We have seen quite a few people go on disability or early retirement. Most do not have a better life.

It seems other problems develop because they don't quite know what to do with themselves and lose part of their identity. Every situation is unique and I would be hesitant to say exactly what you two should do.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah i have seen some bad situations on disability/fixed incomes. That is what we have tried SO hard to avoid and have done pretty well avoiding it for 15 years i might add :lol: DH has narcolepsy and takes the max dosage allowable by law of ritalin. It is mre and more headache every time he goes to the Dr.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You can work while on disability. I think you are allowed to make up to $30,000 a year here in canada before it affects your benefits. There are webpages you can read up on this if you google "working and disability"

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
You can work while on disability. I think you are allowed to make up to $30,000 a year here in canada before it affects your benefits. There are webpages you can read up on this if you google "working and disability"
I think it's different here...not sure...still lots of questions. Eventually we'll be forced into it, so we're really just trying to weigh the factors while we have a choice still. I'll have to look that up though and see if it is possible to have an income other than disability. You'd think I would know with half my family on it due to blindness, but I don't :hu

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
My husband is disabled and it is hard dealing with the fixed income when the world keeps getting more expensive.

Not being able to do a regular job anymore really messes with his self confidence. He tried to get retrained but there is way too much competition in the field.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You'd have to go into the disability office and ask alot of questions, but I am sure that you can hold a job at the same time, but not if it is private disabilty, only if it is the government disability.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If he is allowed to make money while drawing his disability, there are a few things the equivalent of a part time job he can and will do. I just need to know if it is possible for him to do so, and what kind of limits there will be for him. They will likely require him to give up his drivers liscense due to the dangers of him driving. I just have so much on my mind...lol! SO many questions and this is just a preliminary brainstorming session for me with you all. We plan on going to the SS office this week and discussing it with them as well. There is really no way they could possibly deny him, we just want to know the financial impact, social impact, and restraints it will have on the family, and him personally. He doesn't really have a hobby other than bible study and writing, and believe me he could do that all day long, but he is fidgetty too and some days he NEEDS to work a bit. Physically he's healthy as a horse, but neurologically he isn't, if that makes sense. His brain has a sleep malfunction, but it doesn't take anything away from him otherwise. He is very fit, very smart, and needs to be able to stay healthy in this whole process. Maybe I can talk him into hunting and fishing :lol:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, everybody's benefits will be based on thier own disability, but there are ground rules of course. You have to find out what those are. I have an uncle who has always worked while on disability, off and on. So it hasn't affected the family income at all. And they should work as long as they are physically able, because you can only do so much hunting and fishing before you become a complete recluse and depression sets in:) You will find alot of answers when you go in and see them about your particular situation. And then you can decide from there.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A quick check says those on disability can make *up to * $940 per month ($1157/mo if the disabled person is blind). Don't know if that's true. FIL is in the process of applying for it right now. Taking a while and they had to hire a lawyer. Hope you get things sorted out, and things slooowwww down a bit for ya!