Disaster--Bread Machine

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound silly but did you put the liquid in the bread machine first? If not you should. The yeast is the last ingredient you put in. Can you show us your recipe?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
coopy said:
I know this is going to sound silly but did you put the liquid in the bread machine first? If not you should. The yeast is the last ingredient you put in. Can you show us your recipe?
Sorry, but this is incorrect. It depends on the bread machine. The first machine I had --had the liquid in last. the one i have now has the liquid in first. It depends on the machine. Follow the instructions in your recipe booklet.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have made a few "bricks" in my life but never all crust and no insides. lol
But if it is a midgit loaf, it has to be the rise -there are some recipes that I had to proof the yeast before adding it when the I used a bread machine. Then the type and timing of the rise might need tweaking - you may need to add more sugar to encourage rise. Or could you have dead yeast? If it is a dense type of bread, it just may need more time for the second rise. Maybe doing it for one of the bread settings that are for slower rising breads?
???? Intersting problems these- let us know if you get it to work.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Stop thinking of it as a "Bread Machine". In truth it is a kneading machine, a warm rising place, and a small oven. You are the bread maker using these three devices all put in one box.
When I make bread I do not even close the lid until my dough has the proper amount of moisture and is well on the way to a good kneading job. This means hands on, touching the dough like Pat said. I also use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides, helping to get a nice solid ball of dough formed. I also suspect you didn't have enough moisture, this is probably the most key problem people have in using a machine. that first five minutes or so overseeing the dough will make all the difference!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey coopy
yea, this is the machine (or the recipe) that said to put the liquid in first. Then bread flour, then make a well on top and add yeast.

I did they way they said.....I will certainly be working on this.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aw, I am sorry FC :aww .
I have never made bread in one of those machines but my MIL has one and she told me that you cant veer from the bread machine recipe too much or it wont turn out.......Is this true? Maybe that is why they dont turn out. I'm sorry......at least you have the brownies :bouquet

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Country White Bread

1 cup warm milk (110-115)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 & 1/2 tablespoons sugar
4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

I absolutely loved the taste of this bread. It reminded Tony of good ol' regular white bread for sandwiches which he loves. Tony said the taste could have a tad more sugar. Well, he would..HA HA

***Zenbirder---ya know I do think of it as a "machine" and I was worried to "open the lid" at any time...LOL-LOL....but you are right, I guess I have to be interactive with it.

I did have it on medium crust. Maybe I should put it on "light" crust. Cause that sucker was thick crust and dark. maybe the machine runs hot or something.

I will definitely be experimenting with this because the taste was great...now to get the "perfect" loaf. I wonder how many Rock Breads were made before everyone gets the perfect loaves..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL RM
condolensces for a loaf of bread. Yup, I need flowers right now...LOL

I want to make that perfect bread...it is getting on my nerves...LOL and I don't have many of those left! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oooooh that bread had better worry cuz now it has come down to a *I am going to get it right if it kills me thing* LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
yea, and it will cost me $1K in bread flour. UGH!